Aviary floor with drain

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by Gynomite, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Gynomite

Gynomite New Member

My office has housed 5 large parrots for years. Now we must sell the building. To re-house the birds, we are adding a 4-season sunroom level with first floor over a walkout basement. I need a slight grade with a drain in the middle so that cages can be slid over the drain and power-washed. I have burned up Google trying to find a floor that would do what I need it to do. I got all excited about waterproof vinyl planking until I realized that the cracks AREN’T waterproof. Same with tile (the grout). Same with roll rubber (the seams). We need to get this together quickly and I am at a loss. Also, in spite of my occupation, I have not made a tom of money. So unfortunately I can’t afford a ten thousand dollar floor PLUS the sunroom. Any suggestions would be soooo appreciated by me, Harley, George, French, Samantha, and Puddles.

2. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Epoxy.
    Waiting for one of ‘those guys’ to chime in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

tile with an epoxy grout would be waterproof for all intents and purposes. Full in epoxy floor would be much better to be certain.... unfortunately I am not one of those guys.

4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

sealed concrete or an epoxy coating

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I was a bird freak for awhile. I bought a 12x24 shed from a couple that had 3 300 ft long buildings full of tropical birds. Dirt floor of course, not bad smell but I didn’t ask how he kept odor down. He gave me a tour, I wore my earplugs. Guy was selling his farm and they were moving to Tennessee.

I would professionally install an epoxy, I walked by I believe what was a metallic floor at Home Depot, May go back and investigate. Problem is many DIY floors peel from improper prep and moisture.

I’ll take a blue macaw for a few weeks! Or a scarlet, or a gray.