Astro Carpet Mills

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by FlooringGirl, Sep 30, 2010.

1. FlooringGirl

FlooringGirl Senior Member

Has anyone ever laid carpet from Astro? It's the neon, blacklight carpet for skating rinks, etc.? I bid a job of it, 550 square yards, but it seems they sell it to the people on the street for the same price as a retailer, so of course, the contractors are buying it direct.

However, they want my husband to install it. 36" x 36" pattern match of shooting flourescent stars, LOL. My question is: does this carpet tend to run off pattern, and do the factory edges allow for the pattern to align without going into the carpet?

I'm still providing them the adhesives, seam sealers, VCT or tile (I'm pushing tile, since it seems to me VCT would be constantly scuffed by roller skates), cove base, etc. and they want us to tell them how much to order. We have a meeting at the location tomorrow. We are also putting carpet on the knee walls, but that is in a solid color.

Tia

2. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

I installed it in several video stores locally and an arcade.
    The seams matched up nicely and the material was a little wider than the pattern.(12'2" or so)
    It is a white carpet that is tip died.

3. FlooringGirl

Thank you for that! I was more than a little concerned about dealing with an unfamiliar product. So, it is basically made like the Milliken patterns - those are also tip-died. Probably the factory-edge match was my biggest concern, since having to cut in sideways would change everything!

Tia

4. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

Good ole spray dyed huh?

5. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I don't really think it is spray dyed. I went through the Durkan mills and it quite a process to see. Makes you wonder how this gook laying on top of the white carpet can come out multicolored.

Astro may do it different, I don't know.
    Never been through a Milliken mill or Karastan mill though, would like to see Karaloc made.

Daris

6. Peter Kodner

Peter Kodner Inspector Floors Charter Member Senior Member

Never sold, installed or inspected their goods but have dealt with a few Mr. Spacelys over the years. :confused:

Don't have access to my trusty cross reference materials anymore either. The last I knew, there are only two jet printers equipment makers out there: Milliken and Kuesters. I'm sure there are more now. I did find an Astro Dye Wrok in Dalton. Maybe this is the company and they do commission work in addition to offering a few niche products. Otherwise, I'm hard pressed to believe they invested in jet equipment.

Rotary printing is very limited as the drums are very, very expensive and a different drum is needed for each color. The drums were 25k+ 20-25 years ago. They were chrome coated so I'm sure the cost today is sky high. It is a very fast and efficient means of dyeing if the offering is limited. I'm not sure if anyone is using this method any longer.

I would presume this is a flat bed print. Screens are cheap and allows a ton of flexibility for smaller manufacturing runs. Some mills have literally thousands of screens. Flat beds do tend towards run offs and I would figure the installation accordingly. I have also had some problems over the years with niche manufacturers and claims...

Occasionally I think back to the old Bigelow Beauvais days. A pretty slow method but complete dye coverage to the base of the fibers. Was great until you ran into a pattern match issue...

Here is the only info I could find on Astro: Textileweb.com: Digital Marketplace for the textile and fabric industry

7. Lance

Lance Charter Member

I did 800yds in a roller rink. The guy closed for 2 weeks in summer to redo the entire rink, when I was done he was so thrilled with the look of new carpet, new paint, and resurfaced rink, he turned on the black lights and the carpet did not glow. They forgot to put the blacklight stuff on. I laughed all the way home.
    When I ran a row it did not go through the same spot on every pattern so you could not run a row on each side and put together.

8. Daris Mulkin

Print dyed material usually don't run a row as the pattern is put on after the carpet is maufactured. Best way to seam is mark patterns and cut with a straight edge from the back. Dot to dot so to speak or pattern to pattern.

What did you use for seam sealer on that job. I had a friend who did a job that had blacklight and when they turned it on all the sealer in the seams showed up. They cut the seams out put in a boot and used contact for sealer.

Daris

9. Lance

Lance Charter Member

Daris, connecting patterns leaves to many gaps and overlaps,too much work. Row cut one side then mark and straight edge. I had heard about the seam glowing thing in strip clubs also.

10. Peter Kodner

Peter Kodner Inspector Floors Charter Member Senior Member

I presume you heard by Urban Legend? ;)

11. Lance

Lance Charter Member

I will admitt that I have been in a few in my travels but they are one of the few places I did not look at the floor.

12. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

That was my first thought when Tia said black light.

13. FlooringGirl

Thanks so much for the input!

We've now been to the jobsite and I have all my numbers together, am just looking at everything very closely one more time before turning it all over in the morning. The carpet is being ordered directly, since there is no discount on retailer accounts. Tommy and his crew are doing the installation, and the contractor wants me to tell him how much floor and wall material to order, as well as getting all the sundries (cove base, transitions, adhesives). I am well under budget from my original estimate several months ago, mainly because of overestimating the yardage -not knowing the pattern match yet - and due to some other variables. The customer should be pleased.

Here is a link to the carpet. It's the Cosmic pattern. That one doesn't seem as bad as some of the others!
    Skating Rink (skate center) carpet. Black Light (BlackLight) - Neon. Astro Carpet Mills

Anyway, thanks for making me think about the seam sealer glowing! It would never have occured to me, so we need to check into this:eek: Also, any advice on matching the pattern is helpful, and I am printing it off for Tommy. He has worked with large expanses of Milliken and also with run-offs, but this is his first time with this mill, so he was curious about other people's experiences.

I have perfect confidence in his abilities and those of his partners, but it's always good to get opinions on a product new to you, and also get tips on a better way to do things!

By the way, this job is completely ours, since the contractor representative recently had a heart attack at about the age of 50 and when he came back to work after that, he asked for Tommy and I to please take care of this for him. He has always been good to us, so we are trying to make this as stress-free as possible ...

Tia

14. FlooringGirl

Oh, I just talked to Tommy about the seam sealer glowing, and he shook his head and said that should never happen, because seam sealer isn't topically applied. It's put down inside the seams and should never be seen on surface fibers. :cool:

Tia

15. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

Tia, I have done 2 bowling alleys in this and 3 Blockbusters. It is spray dyed or tip dyed, whatever you want to call it. :confused:
    The easiest way to pattern match is to find a swirly or color that repeats on both sides near the selvage and put a small cut in it. Depending on how long of a straight edge is being used, then make a small cut at the exact part of that pattern how ever far apart you can by the size of the straight edge. 6 foot straight edge, every 6 feet, 9 foot, every 9 feet and so on.Let's say the pattern repeat is every 2 feet, with a 6 foot straight edge, every 6 feet but every 8 foot with a 9 foot straight edge.I used the double headed crab to pull the seam together.
    Watch for delamination along the selvage. The last bowling alley I did, It was delaminated at least a foot in on the one side.:mad:
    If there are stairs involved, you may want to suggest a different color on the steps. The bowling alley had some one fall down the steps, because she said the pattern was too busy and she never saw the steps.:eek:
    I found this crapet very easy to work with!:cool:

16. Daris Mulkin

All it would take is just a little to touch the yarn from you fingers the bottle tip whatever and then it would show up. Tommy is right about where it should go.

Polestretch did you use the honey colored sealer or the acrylic sealer?

Daris

17. polestretch

Daris, It has been too many years on the Blockbusters, and they never used the black light. The bowling alley I was back to, has the late night rock and glow and that seam was not visible.:D The other bowling alley does not have the black lites. I guess I lucked out.:yesss:

18. Daris Mulkin

There was a house in my area that the MBR was done. For what ever reason the installer ran acrylic sealer on the seams and all around the room in the gully. He also had some on his hands and leaned against the wall. Unbeknown to him the homeowners use black lite in the room and about freaked when they turned it on and all this showed up. They wanted to know what to do. The inspector told them to leave the black light off.

Daris

19. polestretch

LOL:eek:

20. Daris Mulkin

Tia, what is the smallest sized piece that you can order from them. I'm redoing my youngest granddaughters br and I just might like to do a rug 4 x6 in that stuff. What pattern are you doing the job in? hint hint

Daris