Armstrong SDT Static Dissipative Tile

Discussion in 'Commercial Flooring Sales & Installation' started by Jonathan Garcia, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Jonathan Garcia

Jonathan Garcia Pro Member

Has anyone installed this system before? I went to look at a commercial building where they want me to quote them regular VCT and this. Will be going in part of the first floor, concrete on-grade, has carpet tile down right now. apx 3500 sqft. Appreciate any advice/suggestions.

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

You will need to remove ALL the carpet tile adhesive. That's really the most expensive proposition. I wouldn't want to risk just skim coating over it like me might do for regular VCT.

Other than that, normal VCT prep and install-----excepting the adhesive is extremely difficult to clean off the surface of the tile. So just DONT get any on the tile.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan Garcia

Jonathan Garcia Pro Member

yeah I was planning on grinding all the areas. After it was cleaned I would skim coat 1 or 2 times. ill be speaking with the sales rep tomorrow regarding their product, but wanted to hear from you guys for any tips. Also, their is a copper grounding strips in the system. how is that installed? in what part of the installation? does it go on the entire floor?

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Whenever I've done SDT, it was spec'd out how many copper strips were to be used and where they wanted the copper strips located. The black adhesive will burn everybody's nose and eyes so be prepared for that.

5. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

The manufacturer calls out the grounding requirements somewhere in the specs/instructions----probably on the pail of glue. But as Chris says there SHOULD be something site specific that a Superintendent, Electrical Foreman, Facility Manager or Maintenance Director shows you.

You put the copper flat wire into the adhesive 18" out from the wall by an electrical outlet then apply glue on top of the copper. If I recall correctly for a thousand square feet you would need ground strips at two locations approximately on opposite walls. Larger areas would require more but I wouldn't guess. It's not your job to locate the grounding locations. THEY have to establish that and tell you. When no one is around I just put as many copper strips as they give me up the wall to as many outlets as are available

DSCF6024.JPG DSCF6023.JPG DSCF6027.JPG DSCF6032.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1