Armstrong Linoleum

Discussion in 'Commercial Flooring Sales & Installation' started by Incognito, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

It's about 425 s/y.

The material is very nice. I'm not happy with the glue. It's the old white, acrylic cove base glue. Whose F'n idea is that??????

NOT what I would approve of for any commercial sheet goods. What's wrong with the old Henry's 356? Might as well use paste.

You know the TEST? At the end of the day when you're at home in the shower. The glue you missed when washing up..........It shouldn't clean off easily the minute you turn the hot water on.

No REAL problems besides taking 2-3 days to do a day work because the glue F'n sucks ass. Oh, that's a good answer to a question on another thread about being a sub or working hourly. What do I care when the manufacturer makes it 10 times harder/slower?

I'll pitch a bitch here but................I really don't care. They pay me to do it right. One way or another.

Attached Files:

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Is that adhesive the S 780? I always liked that adhesive but then again I figured I was already slow at lino anyway so maybe that stuff is just my speed. I used to hate the Sustain 885M when it first came out but that was because I didn't know how to make it work to my advantage. Takes a little time to grab and you gotta roll it a couple of times but stove bars are stuck like chuck if you stick around and babysit it for a few. Then again, you don't have to worry about stove bars with Armstrong. Do you think they would change the adhesive if they did?

3. Incognito

The Forbo glue has MUCH more stick to it. Yes, this is the S 780 and it's OK to work with-------just SLOW because the working time is insufficient for commercial projects by a factor of........3-4. I have no use for glue that is dead as a doornail in the time it takes to pick the lint out of my belly button.

4. Chris 45

It is interesting how each brand of glue has it's own quirks and those quirks could be your friend or not depending on what you're doing. I recall years ago doing a Marmo job using the old 910 adhesive. 3 guys spreading glue with 2 more dropping sheets in almost on top of us. You couldn't get that stuff in the glue fast enough. Neither could I.

5. eaadams

eaadams Sport Floor Pro

It isn't Armstrong lino anymore. Called DLW ever since Armstrong divested of DLW. We bring containers in now. About 50% the cost too ;)

Attached Files:

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

And what are you using for adhesive?

7. eaadams

eaadams Sport Floor Pro

Mapei Eco 390 & G21

8. Incognito

"Substantial Completion" is due next Wednesday. My boss is shoving 5 guys at me and wants it all done tomorrow on OT after I've been out there with only a 2nd period apprentice all week. We'll get all the main crap done. There's going to be an awful lot of "loose ends" that I assumed I would spend half a day to a day wrapping up instead of a Cluster Saturday, get sent to start another job Monday then about midday Monday they'll be squealing like a bunch of F'n greased pigs because EVERYTHING isn't done.

F them and the horse they rode in on.

(Friday Afternoon Vent because I have to work the weekend)

Attached Files:

9. Incognito

When the fog clears I'll discuss this photo. Would be interested in anyone's WAG.

Attached Files:

10. Chris 45

800 feet of 4' strips?

11. Incognito

Yes Chris. That's 800' of Burke rubber cove base. There's a deeper story I'm afraid of mentioning here even though in theory I'm Incognito and this is a private forum.

We all do crap that could come back and bite us in the ass. It's actually pretty STUPID to post it up on the internets, but I'm just that kind of knucklehead.

12. Elmer Fudd

Just remember "I'm watching and I know who you are!"

13. Chris 45

You just happen to have 8 boxes of coil base in the exact same color?

14. Elmer Fudd

So, you f'd up the cuts and had to use scrap to finish the last shot. This would be the seams weighted down so they don't curl?

15. Incognito

No.

I did have to put extra cross seams in that room, another bigger room and the long hall because then sent out 11 rolls, only two of which were full 97 foot cuts. The rest were 44-55 feet plus or minus. All the same batch and fairly close in sequence but rolls #65 and #66 were so far off shade wise I chose to stick them down the cross halls instead of filling the rooms and halls with less cross seams. The other rolls from the #40s and #50s were close enough to mix in and I had to do what I had to do.

Only a flooring guy ever realizes the cross seam from a length seam so long as it's not defective in some way.

16. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

For Incog " Vice Versa"

17. Incognito

I did my best and it's going to fly. The rolls sat too long in storage-----over two years and we get well over 100 degree temperatures for a lot of the summer. (no AC) The roll marks were permanent. So the attempts at backrolling, massaging, back buttering, moistening the crease from the back and heating, rolling and then cold rag shock from the face, and weighting them down with base and 6 foot straight edges didn't make them go away.

I stuck a few roll ends in the most inconspicuous places and then laid a small basement corridor with a bunch of 5'8" roll ends. THAT's what screwed me besides not having a nice shade match withing 30 sequence numbers so this was a real mind bender. The GC and my shop took responsibility.

Attached Files:

18. Chris 45

Talk to me about that handle on the welder. That looks like it could be your friend when you have a lot of welds.

19. Incognito

Yeah, that's my buddy's. He cut the handle off an Armstrong trowels and scabbed it onto the welder-------"pistol grip" style. Another guy gave him the idea but instead of a trowel grip he actually used an actual wood carved pistol grip.

Works nice when you're welding for weeks on end.

20. eaadams

eaadams Sport Floor Pro

There is a market for that handle. I've seen guys holding onto antiquated welders because they are pistol style. Someone should show that to the turbo guys.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk