Armstrong floorcovering testing videos

Discussion in 'Floorcovering Video Collection' started by RFI, May 30, 2012.

1. RFI

RFI Mr. Nefarious Senior Member

Here are a few videos by Armstrong that show some of their testing procedures and equipment for floorcovering. I found these videos very interesting and will give you an idea of how some testing is done.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MASaauz8fho&feature=channel&list=UL]Armstrong Commercial Flooring Testing Overview - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN4ny_cXH3U&feature=channel&list=UL]Stain Test - Armstrong Commercial Flooring - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLCJHA2gwb8&feature=channel&list=UL]Squareness Test - Armstrong Commercial Flooring - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYeEm5ZrYI4&feature=channel&list=UL]Indentation Test - Armstrong Commercial Flooring - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xITJ59kAXGo&feature=channel&list=UL]Impact Test - Armstrong Commercial Flooring - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUUbZ5RECQU&feature=channel&list=UL]Caster Test - Armstrong Commercial Flooring - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oYRQ2swO7k&feature=channel&list=UL]Flexibility Mandrel Test - Armstrong Commercial Flooring - YouTube[/ame]

Hope you enjoy!

Rob

2. Ken Peirson

Ken Peirson Charter Member

Rob,
    I had the opportunity to perform these tests during my time at Congoleum.
    Many I performed on a weekly basis for the installation testing portion of products.
    The are interesting tests but I always had small issues with the test procedures and the interpretations of the results.
    If you would like to discuss any of these in particular-I'd be happy to offer my opinion.

Thanks,
    Ken

3. RFI

Ken,

I have never had the chance to see any of this before and have always wondered about the testing procedures and equipment. I can already see some issues with testing and the " real " world. I understand that there needs to be a starting point and guidlines, but I wonder if some of it should not be reviewed.

To add to that I have always been curious about the testing of products that come in for claims issues too. Whether it be carpet, vinyl, wood, adhesive ect.

Take psi ratings for one thing. You look at the spec sheet for a particular product and it states 500 psi. Is that with or without adhesive under it? If it does not include the adhesive why not?

Rob

4. Ken Peirson

Robert,
    The real world versus testing practices always leaves a lot of room for interpretation.
    For the most part, the tests are relevant and can show many useful characteristics of the products before they reach the market or when formulas are changed.
    In fact, substitute chemicals are constantly being used in making current products to try and control costs or increase available supply of raw materials.
    So the products everyone likes to work with is seldom the same "product" from years ago. But, testing done prior to the release of the changed products helps to make the changes less noticeable.
    My real issue ways always,"What do these test results actually mean?'
    Let's take the Caster test for instance.
    I performed the caster test many times and it is useful to compare results to prior testing results and competitor products for abrasion resistance.
    There was a standard number of cycles (passes of the caster machine over the product) to check results at.
    Sometimes we went further than the standard and took the products to failure to see what happens and when. I specifically remember doing this with patch over Scotch guarded sheet vinyl when Xclusive was coming out.
    Now here are some issues that can happen that skew results:
    -the caster machine is not weighted properly so the wheels do pass evenly over all the test samples
    -the machine gets shut off or affected and the cycle count is lost
    -the caster wheels are wearing after each test and the wheels don't contact the samples with the same specified weight load after multiple tests
    -the samples are not mounted properly to give accurate results
    Suddenly, you have a completed test with these variables and someone needs to interpret the results to draw conclusions about the products.
    Human error and the unscientific desire to have a product pass or fail all play into these results. Additionally, when the test results are then used for marketing purposes to highlight or demean products- the whole system is called into question.
    Luckily, we are only dealing with flooring but imagine these same situations occurring with important safety testing or medical testing.
    Seeing testing like this 1st hand and participating in it has forever made me mistrust any test results I see.

Ken

5. RFI

Ken,

That is some really great information and insight. I understand the market aspect of controlling costs, that only makes sense, but do they retest every time a product is changed?

Rob

6. Ken Peirson

Rob,
    Every time a change was made to a product- it was re-tested.
    The last video in the series is the mandrel test- where the vinyl sample is wrapped around different diameter cylinders (from largest to smallest) to check the properties of the vinyl.
    This is a test that I always thought was informative from a handling perspective but it was also important related to the elasticity of the product, memory when rolling or reverse rolling and also the strength or brittleness of the urethane coating (PVC coatings were also tested.)
    Evaluating the samples after the test under a microscope could show if a new or alternative chemical used in the urethane coating stressed or cracked around the mandrel when compared with the standard sample.
    If the urethane showed any signs of cracking (ie. crazing) around a larger diameter mandrel than the standard sample- then that coating could prove to be too brittle for regular product.
    A important test done in conjunction with the mandrel is acclimating the standard & test samples in different temperature rooms and then performing the test to see how temperature can impact the results.
    Samples from the 90 degree room will obviously perform differently than the samples from the 50 degree room.
    Performance properties like these are the determining factors between new coatings or alternative raw materials being accepted or failed and sent back to the chemists to be modified.

Ken

7. adam

adam Pro Member

Robert,

My understanding is that PSI testing (ASTM F 970) does not include adhesive or patch. The peice of vinyl is placed directly onto a steel plate. Not real world at all. Also I was told in a lecture that the test is accurate only up to 250 lbs. and that the test is not repeatable above 250 lbs. Aside from the fact that is not real world I think that would make any number above 250 lbs. untruthful.

8. RFI

Adam,

I have always wondered about that, along with how much testing is done with a product and the adhesive recommended. It makes perfect sense that you will lose psi when the adhesive is tested along with any product. I also think it is a very important point to consider.

Adhesive displacement is another issue that I for seem to fight more then before. I do not know whether it is from the change to more acrylic type adhesives or the change in the materials themselves.

Rob

9. Ken Peirson

Rob,
    Could you explain your question a little more about adhesive displacement- I am not following.
    I can't comment extensively about the PSI testing as I only performed it in a modified version for a test product and we devised new tests for that product due to the situations in which it would be used.
    However, the ball drop test that I performed (and that I watched the other testers perform) were done without adhesive.
    However, the test might provide other results that are just as or more important than "what happens when the steel ball drops on this piece of vinyl?"
    Keep in mind- these are just a sampling of tests used to provide a clear picture of the properties of any given product.

Ken

10. RFI

Ken,

In a hospital setting we are seeing with more frequency dents in the floors caused by heavy objects with small contact points or feet. The best example I can give you is with patient beds that are running over 500lbs a piece without a patient in them. Add to that extremely hard wheels on the beds with a very small foot print.

When you open the floors up to look at why the dents are there, you can see where the adhesive has been pushed to the sides of where the wheels have set. It is a problem that all the manufactures are having, most suggest using some sort of two part epoxy adhesive under the bed areas. Which does help somewhat.

I just do not remember seeing these issues in the past with the old floors such as Classic Corlon, standard vct or many others that we used. The adhesives were different too. So I keep coming back to the acrylic adhesives reacting differently to psi.

Ken, do you remember testing the materials and the adhesive together to determine psi ratings?

Rob

11. Ken Peirson

Rob,
    Let's take a look at your question so I can to try to help.
    You have brought up psi testing & rating several time.
    Let's start with a spec sheet that has the psi rating you are referring to.
    Let's look at the spec to see exactly what that manufacturer is trying to give information about.
    We'll do this in steps to identify the question so we can look for the answer in the right places.

12. RFI

Sorry Ken, for some reason to me they go hand in hand. Remember who you are talking too :blink: Mr..............HILLBILLY :cool: