Armstrong Duality Premium vs. Armstrong Alterna Vinyl Tiles

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by herman2manny, Jun 18, 2013.

1. herman2manny

herman2manny Active Member

Hi. I am covering about 430 feet of flooring. I have sheet vinyl now and it is trashed. I have gotten quotes of $3,000 for an Armstrong Duality Premium floor (this is product plus install) and $5,500 for The Armstrong Alterna Vinyl Tiles with grout. These prices seem high to me, but they are the lowest of three places I got quotes from. Do they seem about right?

Also, can anyone tell me which type of flooring is going to probably hold up the longest and take the biggest abuse from grandchildren and pets? I have a very busy kitchen, laundry and bath. Also, there are two doors that lead to the outside. I like the look of the Vinyl Tiles better, but am thinking maybe the Duality sheet vinyl might hold up better. My Dad has an old vinyl floor that is 30 years old and doesn't even have one little mark on it. This was a house in which 4 kids were raised and numerous pets lived in.

I just don't want to spend an extra $2,500 for a floor that might not hold up. I was only going to get the 1/16 grout line since I have heard it cracks. But, is there any difference in the wear layer of the actual vinyl between the two? If anyone could tell me, it would be wonderful. Thank you so much!
  2. Jeff Short

Jeff Short Veteran Flooring Retailer

Since the store I work at doesn't sample Armstrong products, I can't speak specifically to the 2 styles you're considering, but on a general basis I can answer a few questions.
    Mainly, you're trying to compare 2 totally different products, sheet vinyl and Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT). LVT is more expensive to install because you are dealing with many individual pieces as opposed to large sheets of material, so it is more work to install. The adhesive may also be considerably more expensive. There is also the additional cost of the grout itself as well as the considerable labor of grouting.
    It would help a lot if we knew a few other details... how many total square feet of each type material the job requires, what the existing surface is, is underlayment or floor prep required, etc... The more details we have, the more accurately we can address your concerns.
  3. herman2manny

Well, I have vinyl down now and that will be removed. They are going to lay them both over our wood subfloor. My main concern, since I am spending so much money, is whether or not the Alterna is worth the extra money. Is it going to wear well or is the Duality a better product. At this point, I am not really concerned with looking "trendy". I just want a floor that I don't have to always be "careful" with. I also have a rolling caster chair in my kitchen for my computer and I was going to put down a chair mat and I am worried that the Alterna grout is going to split. Even without the chair, can someone just please tell me what you think will wear the best? Thank you.
  4. Demonseed

Demonseed Pro Member

I don't know if I am missing something here but that is almost $13/SF ($118/yd) for Vinyl. Even at $3000 for 430SF you are over $7/sf ($63/yd). While I am sure you have shopped around you might want to look at ceramic, which could easily come in at or below the prices you have mentioned and with a quick search I see the Alterna tiles at about $5/sf which means you are paying almost $8/ft for the installation.
  5. herman2manny

Yeah, I know the prices in our area in Seattle are high. I have friends who paid the same thing. But, will someone please, please address my area of concern about the durability of both of these products? Is one better than the other? I am very concerned and need to know from someone who has experience with both of these products. Thank you!
  6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Both are good products and should last well, as long as they are properly installed. If they are not using a new subfloor I would worry.

With the Duality you could almost replace it in 10 years and have two new floors for the same price as the Alterna.

That price sounds a little high for Alterna, $8-10 is what I have seen, unless there is a lot of floor prep.

They are totally different products, people who are happy with Alterna usually like tiles, while Duality is a sheet floor, not a tile. For the money Duality is excellent, and less issues with rolling chairs. Put down a chair pad!