Ardex Training Class Portland

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by RFI, Feb 22, 2009.

1. RFI

RFI Mr. Nefarious Senior Member

Just to let you guys in the Northwest know. Ardex has a training class in Portland Oregon now at Cronin and Co. I attended the Moisture control and toppings class this last week and really enjoyed it. This would be a great class to take so put it on your list. It beats having to fly back east if you ever thought about taking it.

Now its off to Boston for my Nora rubber flooring class. Looking forward to it but hate the 5 hour flight!

Rob

2. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Ardex is a very good class,went to it in Pittsburg. I am going to see if Nora Rubber will come down for our CFI and MDNVAFCA and put on their cold welding class. Already have three heat welding and flash coving class set up for the year.

Roland:coffee::coffee::coffee:

3. RFI

Roland,

I have been really surprised by the lack of turn out at the classes I have attended. Last weeks Ardex class was free to all and was very good. Only 10 showed up and of those 10 only 3 to 4 would participate. The rest just stood there with hands in the pockets and made smart ass remarks. I can understand why the tech people get discouraged!

Rob

4. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Resting In Peace

Thinking of going to the one in Pitt .
    They say the provide the room , Will they feed me to ? :)
    Do i need to bring any tools ?
    Have a safe flight Robert .

5. RFI

Nick,

No tools are required just go learn and PARTICIPATE. The cool thing about the one in Pennsylvania is you get to go through the plant. As far as food two of my favorites donuts and pepsi in the morning and pizza and pepsi for lunch. :D what more could a guy ask for! I know I am a cheap and easy date.

Rob

6. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

:eek:...women and coffee...:coffee:

7. Nick Arrera

Great minds think alike .
    I plan on getting down and dirty .
    Don't see the logic in going there and standing around with your hands in your pocket .
    Unless you have a hole in one of them .

8. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Nick, let me know when you plan to go. I may join you, or at least come and harass you for a day. It is only 2 hours from me.

9. Nick Arrera

Will do Rg, Getting a error code on the site now . I Just e mail them .
    I can go anytime , let me know what is good for you .
    Just remember to be careful for what you wish for . You may get it . :D

10. Hoss

Hoss Charter Member

The one I attended in Aliquippa, PA, they provided a fancy dinner atop the mountain overlooking the pro football & baseball stadiums at a really fancy restaurant. It was a 2 day class in floor prep. We had about 15-20 in that class and yes a few "talkers". They did not have mill tours for us.

11. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member I Support TFP

I think a lot of the reason the classes are empty is that no one knows about them. If only there was a place on the internet where they could advertise the classes to the people that would be interested in taking them. Hmm...

12. Nick Arrera

I will be suggesting TFP when i'm there . Then t can work them for a contest prize . :yesss:

13. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

Contest prize or not, we have a calendar that any member can add educational events to:

A Calendar of Events in the Floorcovering Industry

It's almost as easy as posting a message. Speaking of which, all the topics and messages in this particular forum are available for all visitors to see and will be indexed in the search engines like Google, Yahoo, etc. This is a great forum to discuss training, but we also have a special forum for the announcement of training events and part of the first post in the topics will also show up on our home page. Training News & Announcements - The Best Floor Covering Information & Resources I suggest only items you would want to post in a calendar be also posted in that forum - it's not a forum to "discuss" training like this forum, it is strictly for the announcement of training. It's like giving the class or seminar a double whammy promotion.

Jim

14. Demonseed

Demonseed Pro Member

I can only do classes/seminars on off days, but I am fascinated with mixing mortar. Almost everyone seems to have their own formulas. When it comes to ardex, we make our own blends, and i can pretty much tell who mixed what, by how it dries and the end colour. Nothing like loose gravel pooping to mess up a heavy patch job.

The Million dollar question, will this class teach me something I may actually do? Will they tell me to not use air movers, will they say to let the product dry completely (I am pretty sure they won't). What will I learn?

Chances are I will take a bunch of notes, pass the class, and be certified. Sorry boss, I took a class and they said we shold use dependable patch on this job....Or; Before we skimcoat we need to use this ardex primer/bonding agent, you better call the salesperson.

Are any bells ringing?

That is right, I am going to be the guy to pass on the job, because I believe the patch is wrong, and they did not do a moisture test. How am I getting any work?

15. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

16. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

So you are saying that if you do it right, you will not work!! And the only way to keep working is to do a half-azz job! Where are your principles and morals? Are you willing to sell out for the $$? You have to wake up in the morning and look in the mirror!!

17. Demonseed

Demonseed Pro Member

This will become a circular argument. If the salesperson does not do their job properly, ensuring a moisture test is done before the job is scheduled, properly estimating floor prep, how can I do my job by the book? If I get sent to 10 jobs and walk off of 9 because they do not have a moisture test on record, I won't be doing much work. I would definately be interested in the Ardex class, but classes are designed for perfect world applications.

I don't live in a perfect world, but if you want to send me a postcard I would be happy to see what it looks like ;)

18. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

On the other hand, if an installer becomes competent, proficient, and even certified to do the tests, it is a pretty easy, and profitable procedure. (with a very small investment).

Look into it.

b

19. Hoss

Hoss Charter Member

With all due respect, I used to have the same attitude you have now. I didn't make much money or sense to anyone I talked to.

Then someone told me about getting educated! The class is FREE

Make yourself available, go to the class, find out what you DON"T know and start making money for what you DO! Who cares what retailers say to you.

20. Nick Arrera

Just got my confirmation for the one in Pitt . the letter says to bring a pair a baseball shoes with nylon cleats .
    Looking foward to learning some new tricks .