Ardex Feather Finish over-watered?

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by oneway, Jul 9, 2018.

1. oneway

oneway Member

Two guys put down a batch of Ardex (I believe it was Feather Finish) and leveled it by gently working a straight edge back and forth over the mix.

I recall one of them said he was concerned that the mix looked thin. When it was drying it was very dark in color, almost black. I don't recall any of the other mix looking this way.

Could this be an indication of an over-watered mix? If so, what's the best way to proceed?

This was put down around a high point in the floor. Laminate will be installed over this surface.

Thanks for your Pro evaluations!

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Of course it would be ideal for them to use the exact proper ratio of water to patch. For a laminate installation it would be much less critical compared to other types of floor coverings. It's a VERY good sign that they are using Ardex and screeding it out. That tells me that they have at least a clue about how to make a concete floor flat.

When dry, it's quite obvious by inconsistent color when the batches are not measured. Excess water LIGHTENS the patch------not darkens, once dry and hard.

If you're screeding out Feather Finish mixing it too "soupy" makes it really sloppy to work with-----much more difficult to apply than when it's mixed right. It's also much easier to trowel down clean and smooth after screeding as it sets up. So there's no good reason to overwater that I can think of.

• Like Like x 2
  3. oneway

oneway Member

OK, thanks a lot for the evaluation. I'll assume it's good. Just putting a lot of time and effort and cash to fix my floor and hope never again to have to see it :)

4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Highly unlikely to have a problem under laminate.

5. I'm wondering if it wasn't Ardex SD-P. That product is screedable while Feather Finish really isn't if mixed right. Yeah, I know people can do it but it's much easier to use SD-P if you know you've got to do screed work. SD-P is a perfectly acceptable choice for the application.

• Like Like x 1
  6. oneway

oneway Member

> I'm wondering if it wasn't Ardex SD-P

I'm pretty certain it was Ardex Feather Finish. They had a couple of bags of Ardex self-leveler but that was used up - the rest of what they had left was Feather Finish.

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

It’s kinda rare one would know what to use. The workhorse is FF for just about everything except cost @ 20$ a 10 lb bag.

8. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

I'm still scratching my head about it being black.
    Incognito said it with it would be real light grey if watered down. It's a dark grey when mixed to spec.
    But there's always reasons to mix some a little on the wet side or a little on the dry. There's different recipes for what you need accomplished.

9. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Yes, we "cheat" all the time. But it's a very small % of change to the proscribed ratio and based on the ultimate flooring requirements.

Laminate won't know what kind of floor patch you used or how you mixed it unless this is your first day in the installation world.

It will turn a lighter grey color when watered down upon DRYING. This dude was worried because it was too dark colored whilst they were screeding it out. That frankly confused the hell out of me.

10. Mike Antonetti

I’ve seen it real dark dry, maybe because when layered the top doesn’t pull the moisture down due to the mix being locked in. Similar to curing Portland grout properly if the moisture stays in the darker the color.

11. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It will be all Uzin and no Ardex pretty soon anyway.

12. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Why's that? :hmmm:

13. Mike Antonetti

Not going to happen unless they’re buying them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Ardex is one of, if not the biggest name for surface prep in the US industry. I can't see them going anywhere soon.

15. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Ardex is the standard, talked to a tile guy that does high end work and he says their grout is unbeatable

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dependable - Not Ardex
    Durabond - Not Ardex
    Bostik - Not Ardex
    CMP - Not Ardex
    Schoenox - Not Ardex
    Now Uzin - Still not Ardex.

Everyone has preferences and products come and products go. So many people have taken a run at Ardex Feather Finish over the years but at the end of the day they just aren't Ardex Feather Finish. I don't normally get too product specific when it comes to one over another but if Uzin overtakes Ardex as the premier product in the industry I'll probably be so shocked I'd have to retire. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Uzin has been in business over twice as long as Ardex. They are building here now so we can have their products. if anything Ardex copied Uzin.

18. Mike Antonetti

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Uzin was started in 1948 and Ardex started in 1949...I don't think that math works out to twice as long.

20. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Not to mention that other products say they are just like Ardex, not just like Uzin.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1