Aquaguard / water resistant laminates

Discussion in 'Laminate Flooring Sales & Installations' started by Kevin Foy, May 18, 2019.

1. Kevin Foy

Kevin Foy Pro Member

Hey everyone, New to the forum and my first post. I was curious if anyone has experience with installing water resistant laminate flooring? What lessons have you learned or tricks did you pick up along the way?
    I have put down dozens of Aquaguard laminate floors and still find myself discovering new and better ways to handle, cut, and install these planks. After searching damn near every forum and article related to water resistant laminate I haven't found much info on this subject

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The thing about water resistant flooring is the flooring itself can take the water but the substrate can't. Concrete can but wood can't for any length of time.

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I wonder if some of that water resistance isn't compromised when you cut a plank? Haven't installed any before - haven't installed much of any flooring in the last 12+ years except my own vinyl plank at home.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kevin Foy

Kevin Foy Pro Member

it is completely compromised. it can withstand water on the surface but the perimeter and cut edges are exposed

• Like Like x 3
  5. Kevin Foy

Kevin Foy Pro Member

From looking at different manufacturers installation instructions they all have vague wording on crucial aspects of the install and the exact same images for procedure. Seems like they are all just from alibaba with different logos

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

I think if you’re going to be doing many of those jobs it’s smart to get the cutters for them. The Bullet Tools magnum line and the Cruiser for rip cuts.

7. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

If you need a waterproof floor, get LVP. Those next gen laminates are much better than regular ol laminate but they can still blow up under the right circumstances. Pergo Outlast goes in depth about site conditions in their instructions. Moisture getting underneath the laminate will still cause a failure.

When I see an installation situation that I don’t like I try to switch people over to LVP if it’s a better fit. I did a basement couple months ago that the customer just did some trenching and installed a sump pump in then wanted laminate installed. I told them I didn’t feel comfortable installing a laminate floor in a basement with known flooding issues. All you need is one good rain and a power outage at the same time and your floor is done fer. I’ve got a Pergo Outlast install scheduled for tomorrow in a customers kennel room in a mobile home. Not sure I’m going to be comfortable doing that installation. Guess I’ll find out tomorrow whether I’m working or not.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mike Antonetti

Tile Demo we did the other day WATERPROOF was all over the box they were bringing in to deliver to acclimate.

9. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Not sure why you’d go the laminate route with water concerns.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kevin Foy

Kevin Foy Pro Member

I know the Bullet magnums are solid and beefy cutters but wasnt sure if they would cleanly shear through these planks. Don't know anyone around me to test and it is a little pricey to find out
    The diablo pergo blades are the best option i have found. clean cut and lasts forever, the fine black dust is my main problem though. even cutting outside or in an open garage that stuff gets everywhere

11. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Magnum is overkill however solid it is, for laminate all i ever used was an ezshear and i wouldnt even consider doing a job without one

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mike Antonetti

Including inside the lungs. The diablo pergo is a PCD blade. I run the pcd’s through hardwood rip ups which I probably have over 10’000 linear Ft cut with same blade and saw.

The magnum shear ensures whatever you’re going to cut in future, say hardwoods that you already have the tools needed.

Photo is some kerf lines through maple with the PCD

Attached Files:

13. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

You should try a chop saw hood. It doesn’t catch 100% of all the dust but it does make a significant difference. Both Fastcap and Rousseau make one and I’d say either one is definitely a worthy investment.

CB923CAF-6B0B-4815-A52E-02B170366E76.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kevin Foy

Kevin Foy Pro Member

That blade paid for its self on the first large job i put it through. Materials that have aluminum oxide coatings dull quality blades fast
    I guess that is not same issue with shears?

15. Kevin Foy

Kevin Foy Pro Member

i like your style, practical and mobile. run the vac and have a box fan in a window out of pic. Works decent when im cutting MDF, not good enough though 20190304_132803.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  16. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I got tired of dragging in all that equipment and going in with just the shear. I have 10 plus jobs on my first blade on one and still going. It will do wood up to 5/8" thick. That is the difference between an ez shear and the pro, how thick of product it can cut. About to buy the 13".

17. Mike Antonetti

How much does walking back and forth to those saws pay? Went to a job the other day, leaving @ 12, painter says you guys are mighty efficient”, I say, “we try”

The shear doesn’t know what “AO” is anymore than I know what AI is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. kylenelson

i picked up the 13” magnum shear, way overkill for lvp but perfect for Engineered Wood. Did a job in a high end home that was occupied and the dust was very minimal plus walk time was a big saving grace. Great tool. Now I want the 9” lvp cutter...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mike Antonetti

Just “Don’t go Crazy” with tool purchases like me, it can also be a curse, I just don’t know who cast the spel.

20. kylenelson

I don’t, but when I have a good profit making job sometimes I reinvest some if it into tools. Some tools are flops and others you wonder how you lived without. Just got a vinyl cruiser and used it last week for first time. Didn’t get the table saw out of the van for 2100 ft of vinyl plank, no breathing plastic dust either. Not a perfect tool but saved some walking especially when upstairs

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1