Anyone buying Groceries online?

Discussion in 'Taking a Break From Flooring' started by Mike Antonetti, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I was dead tired one day from work, my step daughter was going shopping and I told my wife to text her to get me smoked Salmon, I eat it Grizzly style. So it was a different store that she was going to. I then requested Mango icees,(cools my insides) she said to wife she was back in car and it didn’t happen. I had that craving for 3 day’s till I finally got there.

So I heard about the App Instacart on NPR installed it but haven’t used it. Appears they use one excellent grocery store, further away than a different one.

So how do they charge? Should I put stuff in cart casually then build up and pay to send? Or small deliveries? I suppose it’s another tool to use when needed. I guess if you’re sick it would be great if you don’t have a runner.

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

My wife loves the online grocery thing and it’s her mission to tell all her friends about it. I hate it. Kinda hard to remember every little thing while I’m sitting on the couch. Walking the aisles in the grocery store refreshes my memory. I want to see the grapes I’m buying. I want to look at the meat before I buy it. Maybe I want to read the ingredients and pick the brand that doesn’t have HFCS in it. Same thing as when I’m at the supply shop or a big box store. I want to look at, touch and examine whatever tool I’m going to dump a bunch of money on before I dump a bunch of money on it. That reminds me, I’ve got some money just burning a hole in my pocket right now from a side job I just finished up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

My wife started doing this now and then. She seems to love it. I haven't tried it yet. I still refuse to go through the self-checkouts at the grocery store so it'll probably be a bit before I give it a whirl.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris 45

Don’t even get me started on those self checkouts!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

I truly believe they are a communist plot!! I have set stuff down and walked out of the store to avoid using them when they are the only thing open. Just can't bring myself to do it and I'm what most people consider pretty tech savvy.

It's not an aversion to the technology but a protest about not being allowed to interact with a human being if I choose to. I'm not a rich man by any means, (not poor either) but by God I'm willing to pay .10 more for my can of peas if it means I get to talk to someone!

It's along the same lines of why I choose to shop at a local hardware or lumberyard vs. going to the box stores. Makes me feel like I've given up and been beaten by the Borg from Star Trek - "you will be assimilated." - when I have to go into a Lowe's or HD. And sometimes it's just unavoidable but if given a choice, it's pretty easy for me to decide. I'd rather pay real people who know what they are doing than talk to an idiot for 5 seconds, despite the entertainment value some idiots can provide.

Soap box placed neatly back under my desk - I now return you to your regularly scheduled evening television routine.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The problem is that so many of the local knowledgeable merchants can no longer make a living and are closing their doors. Example, my local hardware store. old man Fiest had been in business for 50 some years, oldtime store with oiled wooden floors, shelves and counters jammed with things. The owner and his longtime employee knew where everything was, just ask and it was "aisle 4 shelf 3 on the right", they also had the unusual stuff. Need a piece of glass cut "what size? come back in an hour" it was done, wrapped and ready to go. Sure the price was a little higher but YA GOT SERVICE! Well he was 75 and his kids wanted nothing to do with the business, so he tried to sell it. No one had the money to buy the merchandise, let alone the building and business. Long story short, he turned 80 and last October there was an auction and an icon is now gone.

I am left with a choice 1 mile to HD, 4 mile to Lowes, 12 miles to another local Ace Hardware.

7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Thisnis coming to all walmart superstore...no thanks. I like that my life isn’t so busy that I can’t walk down the aisles and get my own groceries. Great idea for elderlY folks though

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

We had an awesome hardware store till about 10 years ago. It had all the stuff the boxes didn’t. Turned into a Habitat resale. Two Ace Hardwares popped up recently as maybe they resuscitated the corporation.(ace commercial in background tv) Then their now closed on Sundays, I’m extremely disappointed, 1 mile from my house.

I’m ok with normal stuff at the self checkout box stores. but any issues and I’m mad.

Wife couldn’t talk to Human from Frontier Airlines to get a credit for a flight delay. We paid 185$ each to leave 12 hours early. Plane had several issues, the cargo hatch would not lock, techs working in 7 degree weather with wind chill. 6 hours later was takeoff. The ticket scanner didn’t work, glitches were everywhere. Brother emailed and we got credit and maybe a travel voucher.

I think I could add things to a cart for a few days and then hit pay like on Amazon. Trying to get the nudge to do it. I got a credit card reader service been sitting on nightstand for a month needing to set up and schedule a call to the service. Subscribed to Twitter but haven’t looked at in weeks. Maybe there’s just no room in the daily schedule.

9. Chris 45

Frontier had a credit card deal that they gave over the PA. I got tired of hearing that every time plus the seats were cramped. We didn’t crash so I suppose I got exactly what I paid for. I’ve learned that a non stop flight is best for me even if it costs more. The whole funneling sardines into a can then out again blows.

I try to do the buy local thing but I’m having a hard time finding things. Carhartt pants for me ain’t happening. Same thing with Levi 501s. Gotta order them online. Romeo boots are expensive here but I’ll bite the bullet to support local. Same thing with my local tool shop. Might be $30 more than online, but worth it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. tsb

tsb well dressed

My wife started out using shipt which is a delivery service. she said it was a good deal as it's $100 a year then you tip the delivery driver. After she joined I noticed they mark up the groceries by up to 30%. Way too expensive.

Couple months later our grocery store started offering it. $4.95 pick up fee and a 3% service charge. Totally worth it to not have to waste over an hour of my time at the grocery store every week.

I'm the opposite in that it probably saves me money by not impulsively buying stuff. Can go down recipes and get exactly what I need while checking to see what I already have on hand. I'm a fan. except when they pick out crappy produce, but they're very good at offering credits when the grapes end up moldy...

• Like Like x 1