Anybody ever undercut door casings before carpet install?

Discussion in 'Carpet Sales and Installations' started by CarpetSlayer, Oct 15, 2017.

1. CarpetSlayer

CarpetSlayer Pro Member

I had some woven backed carpet from Stanton that I had to install in a couple of rooms the other day and knowing the stuff is stiff and doesn't give much stretch, especially in the width, I decided to undercut the door casings between the two rooms. The install went great but it took me extra prep time and I'm not sure I'd do it again. Have you guys ever done something like that before?

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I use to buzz my under cut saw through casing and jams. Makes for a much better finish. Then alas, the carpet doldrums of under payment hit and that was the end of that. But I'll be damned if it isn't sexy. I'll still get round to it on the higher end work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Brother if you're professional, worth what you're paid, don't feel that doing this extra work is included in your price, improves appearance of work, and you can get paid for additional work, then by all means find a way to add this to cost. Maybe this job didn't pay enough to undercut doorways, I asked customer standing right next to me if she minded me getting a picture, as this is not the way to install. This removal of tile in entire home is 5k$, it's dated, but that's a long time to look at that atrocity.

Attached Files:

4. Mark Brown

that's a beauty mike, what you talking about. Those aren't gaps, they are accent voids

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

That’s what 90% of the jobs I do look like. I picked up a new dewalt multi tool so I might gift my old one to another installer. Maybe it will inspire them to start undercutting jambs.

2C7B714B-A7C6-4C1F-A0E4-B1C3414616CA.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mark Brown

Hard surface is a different story, them things get undercut 100% of the time. At least on my watch, which really lends itself to the theory that if i have them time there i should have the time for the fuzzy stuff too.

7. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I am not an advocate of under cutting anytime. You undercut for the first layer that goes down and then you undercut for the second layer. Sooner or later the home owner is going to have to replace all his trim as you could throw the cat under it and chase the dog behind it, because the trim is way off the floor. A Good installer can fit around it. Just saying.

:old:

Daris

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I would never undercut a door jamb or casing for carpet. :ohno: That's just wrong.

9. Mark Brown

it might sound wrong but it sure looks right :)

10. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

So, height. I’d say 1/2” would be max height I would feel comfortable with. I’ve seen 1” off the floor with vinyl tile. One problem is the thin vinyl plank wasn’t popular until the last few years, the last rip up was thick tile, the new was much thinner, so someone will have to deal with all the gaps.