Any quick low end carpet brand advice from HD or Lowes?

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Berrin, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Berrin

Berrin New Member

Hi

I am new to this forum and read many posts but did not see a general advice on carpet brands...

We have looked at Home Depot for some 3-4$/sq.ft carpets for bedrooms and hallways AND a stair. We would like it to be stain and crush? resistant, so we decided on nylon and we are looking at low pile (loop and cut combo, or loop/berber), softness is not so much an issue.

I will not have too much time for shopping and searching and it will eventually (in one year) be rented out. So my question is, if there is any particular brand that can be suggested (decent carpet that wont look old soon, suitable price) especially at Home Depot or Lowe`s? (e.g. LifeProof or PlatinumPlus?). We can change it in 4-5 years.

We are in Ann Arbor, MI.

Thank you!

b.

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

3 to 4 bucks per sq ft. Is that carpet only or does that include pad, rip n haul and install? Seems like an awful lot of money for a place that you're going to rent out and then replace the flooring in 5 years.

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Brand is almost irrelevant, I've used several carpets off the rack there on personal and rental homes. I preferred berbers, the traffic patterns look less traveled.

I also used high end carpet that was new on discount there, didn't matter, they were both treated as needing replacement upon vacancy.

More important is who you rent to and if there's pets the 850 and pet deposit will not be returned.

4. Berrin

Berrin New Member

We have found some carpets we liked for 3$ and the padding is almost 1$, no installing costs (they said).

Of course it would be good if it was not replaced soon or was cheaper, but 5 years is our expectation, not plan, and because we will also live there first almost 1 year, we want to have strike a balance.

5. Berrin

Berrin New Member

So maybe should I get a cheaper and nylon? carpet then, if there is no way cleaning after a tenant is viable... :/

Thanks,

b.

6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I would much rather see you spend your money at a local reputable retailer. For your budget, you could get a pretty decent floor. to live on for a year and then rent out. You will want to replace it anyway if you should decide to move back in.

$9/ yd for pad??? Of course your install is free... Or is it.

7. Berrin

Berrin New Member

OK, I will look at a suggested local floor store. I did not see much and browsing there was harder, but I think maybe I trusted HD too much.

Thank you!

b

8. whatiscarpet

whatiscarpet Pro Member

Based on what you are describing I think Eco Selection would be a good choice. It is a low pile heigh nylon that is base grade. If taken care of it will last a long time, if into taken care of its not too expensive to replace.

9. floorfortress

floorfortress Pro Member

.34 per sq ft

If it is all about price then carpet for about .34 per sq feet will be what you need to get.

10. Superior Carpet

Superior Carpet Pro Member

Lowes and Home depot have some good "cheap" carpet.
    $3 per sf is equal to $27 dollars per yd, Thats really high!

You need something that is around $6 per yd or .67 cents per sf. and a roll of good pad is $100 per roll at either HD or Lowes, I install carpet from both stores and there cheap carpet is OK, it looks good after installed and holds up nicely, the key with cheap carpet is to buy better pad, a 6lb. pad will be a perfect match. (no one knows the difference between cheap and moderate priced carpet after it's been installed as long as it has a good quality pad under it.

If your budget and taste desire $27 per yd carpet HD and Lowes both include installation and pad for carpets in that price range, if you schedule between Dec 26, 2016 and Mar 1, 2017 you wont have to wait for an installation date or if you go to any of the local carpet stores they should have some real bargains! (slow time for carpet sales)

11. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Six-pound rebond is the minimum standard (7/16"). Too squishy for me. I prefer 8# - even more dense on steps.

12. JPfloor

JPfloor Pro Member

For rentals I always recommend an olefin Berber. Although not plush and soft it's inexpensive, and holds up well. Hard to kill...

Use a quality felt padding underneath it and it will feel pretty nice. If no pets are involved chances are you can leave the padding down when it comes time to replace the carpet. I wouldn't want to pay more than $2.50 per foot installed with padding for a rental unit.

13. Superior Carpet

I just installed a home depot carpet over hd's "contractor grade" pad today. The carpet was ok and seamed very well, but the pad was 3/8" 5# you could practicly feel the staples instead of demples in the pad and the tackless made the pad feel like it was an 1/8" thick! Looked great when I left.

14. Mike Antonetti

I used Lowes 15' wide Berber for my previous home, wore well. I bought a retailers 6 lb for 1.50 us when HD and Lowes hid their "free" install in pad and other charges. Loved the 15' wide to avoid seams in bedrooms.

We talked pad before you joined Superior but 6 lb. is not what it used to be. So HD's flooring contractor is holding back 5 G's from you? The contract is brutal.

15. Superior Carpet

The pad was 5lb -3/8" thick the home owner paid me cash before I left the property.

16. Mike Antonetti

Better than 3 lb. or 3.5lb, I did check the 5lb out a few months ago. They have better choices there now than what they use to. Our local Home Depot they said was third in nation for sales maybe last month, not sure(hurricane helped!) There was a 30 year electrician cutting me some wire. I said how did you get here, they don't hire people who know what their doing anymore. He moved down, guess he kinda retired and started in the parking lot.

17. Rob Malone

Rob Malone Pro Member

I'm with Chris - that seems really high. If that is low-end carpet at the big box I would talk to some local installers and see what they have.