Any experience with this brand line

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Snedman, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Snedman

Snedman Member

We are replacing the carpet in our upstairs bedrooms. The hallways will be engineered wood after the carpet install (it can't be helped)

We initially looked at Lowes. The carpet has a softer feel than the Invista Stainmaster Best in Show, PetProtect, SuperiaSD, Solution dyed, Nylon 6,6. 75 oz face weight, twist 6.4, density 4,034, pile height .66 Rated excellent on Abrasion resistance, soil resistance & stain resistance, resiliency, and clean ability.
    This is the one she liked (below,) due to the softer to the touch feel. But it lists no information like the other on ratings abrasion resistance etc.

My actual question is on the Shaw/Anderson Tuftex carpet listed. She landed on this at a locally owned flooring company due to the multiple colors, feel. She is thinking pretty factor, I am thinking durability factor. I want something extremely tight knit, very dense and durable as can be to clawing. Yes, we have cat trees all over the house, and clawing toys, everything else related to that.
    Aside fact, 4 cats in the house. No urine issues, but throw up and clawing. The clawing is the reason we currently need to get rid of the junky builders grade carpet in here.

All I can find online about the Shaw Tuftex Mollie's Turn line is the standard marketing info. No reviews, nothing on these forums etc.

Compared to the Invista Stainmaster below how close are they comparatively. They are within about $200 of each other installed, with similar pad for 138 yds.

I don't know a ton about Anderson Tuftex, but I know Shaw owns it now as of I think 2011 or something. Anyone installed this specific line, have it themselves, etc

Any info or feedback on this would be appreciated. My gut is telling me the Invista either of them would be a far better choice, but I don't have the experience to say that definitively.
    Next, if we end up with the Shaw Tuftex what is their best most durable pad they offer going over OSB.

Also, if anyone knows of a multi color line comparable to the Invista with the same colors as the Blue Waltz please let me know. See attached photo. It has off white, a darker blue gray, a brown, and a subtle hint of cream color. I haven't seen any other carpets with these colors in one. Usually they are all similar tones of the same color, or some with a black in it with tones of the same color. This one isn't like any other I have seen so far.

Invista Stainmaster, Pronounced Beauty III
    BCF Nylon 6,6
    7L616 style
    00553 Terrace, color
    72 face wt
    .78, pile height
    3,370 density
    6.50 twist
    Unknown: gauge
    Unknown: stitches
    durability rating: unknown

Anderson/Shaw Tuftex Mollie's Turn
    Stainmaster PetProtect SuperiaSD, CLASSICBAC. BCF Nylon 6,6 solution dyed, SMPetprotect
    ZZ016 style
    Blue Waltz color
    68.2 face wt
    107.8 total weight
    .770 thickness
    3,189 density
    5.86 twist
    5/32 gauge
    8.66 stitches
    Shaw's durability rating: unknown

Attached Files:

• L.jpeg
      L.jpeg
      File size:
      330.8 KB
      Views:
  2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

We used to install a lot of Tuftex til our rep quit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jhannam

jhannam Pro Member

Try asking these same questions to your locally owned flooring company. It sounds like you've already done your research and know what you both are looking for. Take your expectations to your local pro's and let them fulfill your expectations. Let them know exactly what you're looking for. They will help you make the right decision, it's what they're paid for! They will also know the right guys to install it for you which is just as important as the product and is the most fun part of the whole process;);););););) Buying new floors should be enjoyed......no stress needed.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Snedman

Snedman Member

I did ask. The small local store said that no one ever comes in and wants to know any of that information in regard to most of the stats they were able to get listed above. ALL of the 9 stores I have visited said the same answer for how durable will it be in regard to matting or laying down. Which is: its nylon 6,6 so it's very durable and won't mat easily. If it does simply vacuum it and problem fixed.
    Based on my reading nylon is virtually indestructible in regard to the actual fiber deteriorating. But matting and laying down is based on density and twist count, stitching closeness. When I mention twist, density and stitching the majority say the same thing again. It's nylon 6,6 so none of that really matters.
    These are people who have been in the business from 12-25 years.
    So, either the majority of sales people, even the few who said they installed for years are completely incompetent and ignorant of these benefits of the stats/features for each of the figures (twist, density, weight, stitch count) or these types of forums are spreading incorrect information. I am leaning to option 1...
    But the concern is, how can so many of these individuals be so ignorant of this information having been in the business that long. Does no one hone their craft and try to be as knowledgeable as possible about their profession anymore? Or are carpet purchasing consumers so absolutely lazy they don't research or care they could potentially be throwing 10's of thousands of dollars down the drain with in a few years instead of 10-15.

That kind of money certainly makes me want to research as much as possible. I work very hard for my income and want to know I am purchasing a quality product that matches the expenditure amount for it.

I appreciate the replies. But the local sources are useless apparently.
    In regard to reviews, that is either out there or it isn't. It could possibly be because the merged product line Anderson/Tuftex is so very young.
    I guess I will call the manufacturer myself and get the info, if they give that out direct to consumers.

5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Some parts of the country are more afflicted by mediocrity than others. Good job doing your research. It will be worth it in the end.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

They do, but sadly not enough. You found yourself here at TFP though and most of the pros here enjoy learning and like helping others.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

If half of the sales staff in this industry had half of the knowledge of a quarter of the guys here I would avoid roughly 100% of the problems I run into in the field. I think that about sums it up :)

....oh and then there are the Lies!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Graeme

Graeme Pro Member

When I started installing many years ago, I thought that these flooring sales people were lazy, unprofessional, and not very good at their job.
    Now that I work for a flooring manufacturer, I spend time training those same sales people... Working with them closely, I have come to realize that they are lazy, unprofessional, and not very good at their job.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Snedman

Snedman Member

We ended up going with the Anderson/Shaw Tuftex, Blue Waltz 68.2 oz., with Shaw Victorious pad.
    It will be installed this Saturday. I asked for double tacking, power stretch. I saw something in one thread about writing into the contract about installation must be performed to manufacturers specifications and CRI 105, so I added that in.
    He brought a larger sample out. Another sales person in their office had the exact same carpet installed last year and loves it. She had a large piece she kept. (That's always a good sign when an employee has it and can pick from anything and chose that.) We went room to room to see how it went with the wall colors, how it looked in the room under natural sunlight, how it looked with the light filtering curtains closed and the room lights on. We think it will work very well for us.
    It's a pretty heavy carpet in general so I think it's going to hold up real well.

3 out of the 4 cats when we laid down his carpet sample with two different colors on it chose the Blue Waltz to claw into...
    Hopefully the install goes smoothly. They have, from what he says the same team of installers they have been using for many many years.
    I am comfortable with the pricing as two other dealers came in at $1000 more, and the other at $1,800 more.
    I don't play the game of pitting dealers against each other. I tell them whatever your best price is, that's what I want. I will not be coming back to renegotiate, I will not give you the chance to beat my lowest bid not even if it's by $5,000. Now is your chance so make it the best one.
    As it turns out the first one was the best. He also gave an additional 7% off his bid for cash money so we did that.
    I'll try to post some photos of the job once complete.
    Thank you all for the info.

Next project engineered flooring. Ugggh. I do not look forward to leveling this osb floor.

10. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I guess I don't understand why the double tacking. There is tackless made that meets those requirements of the CRI-105 that you are asking them to go by. Curious-have you read the CRI-105 and be familar with those requirements. Power stretching is also part of it, and no a power stretcher does not use electricity if you've not seen it used. I was told to leave a job because it wasn't an electical tool.
    If you will post some pictures of during of the actual install. Oh another thing, make sure all seams are sealed, one of the things some installers don't do.

:old:

Daris

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Dam, wish I coulda been there Daris, that’s priceless.

12. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The funny part of it was it was a lawyer that told me to leave. At certifications, we used to put an extension cord along side the stretcher and you would be amazed at the number of installers would have the cord in their hands and look for a place to plug it in on the head. Told us immediately they never used one.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Jeff Short

Jeff Short Veteran Flooring Retailer

Not all of us.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Graeme

Graeme Pro Member

Absolutely agree! Not all sales professionals! I am sure anyone on here is dedicated to their profession. Unfortunately, I get to see more bad than good. It's like what they say about lawyers, it's only the 99% that give the rest a bad name.
    Kidding aside, Jeff, I am happy to know there are good ones like you holding to high standards in this industry. I believe that being a professional and striving to do things in the best interest of the customer and industry is crucial to long term success. Keep up the good work!

15. Snedman

Snedman Member

I apologize Daris, I meant to put double row tackless strips. The rationale is better hold I guess.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019 at 9:22 PM
  16. Jim McClain

All tackless I am familiar with has at least 2 rows of pins. Commercial stip has 3 and is about an inch and a quarter wide.

Maybe Daris will let you apply your apology to the misspelling of his name. ;)

17. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Tri-pin or architectural smooth edge had 3 rows of pins and usually measures a true inch or inch and an eighth. At least here it does

18. Jim McClain

Well, it's been 13+ years since I handled tackless. Whatayagonnado? My brain is wrinkled. :(

19. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Architectural here is 2" wide, half the linear ft per box due to twice as wide as 1", Was supposed to be used when distance was 30 ft or more. It's width could make it look odd around edges because of different height.

20. Snedman

Snedman Member

Our master is 27.5 ft wide. That's the only room I am requiring it in. The rest are 15' 2" or less at their maximums.
    Being as close as it was to the 30' is why I wanted it double. So my request is actually for two, double pin tack rows. For a total of 4 pin/nail sets. Yes, I know it's overkill.

Instead of ripping up the current tack board in the master, I am just having them add a second one directly next to the current instead of a 3 tack commercial. If I had them rip it up and change it I would have to pay for that. If they add another row, that is already free with the install. Yes, only saved about $40, but hey its still $40.

I corrected my mistake Jim from Darius to Daris. Thank you for catching that for me.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019 at 9:38 PM
    • Like Like x 1