Another Training

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Incognito, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

2. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You wouldn't catch me even thinking of going
    One they couldn't afford me as the price I would charge to go
    I went to one here and was paid NZ$ 300 for about two hours and a hours travel out of Auckland
    Also I would be asleep through the whole thing :)

3. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Yea the old (AHA) forms takes about 15 or so min to fill out its just about what kind of tools you using that day and what are the hazard or risk with tools Like ( you using a grinder whats the risk you can cut yourself on it its also a trip hazard if left in a walk way and so on.

When we work on the Army jobs around the state its all about paper work the more you can give them the more happy there are. Trust me if you have it all in order on the 1st day you will be ok.

Also they have a preparatory meeting to go over the job and the job mat. Never started a job for the Gov with out one.

You should do fine at it just come armed with all you data and MSDS sheets.

4. Incognito

Thanks. I'm expecting a lot of office support in the way of formating the reports......standardizing so it's kind of a fill in the blank excercise. I believe that's what they've already been doing with the other general contractors requirements on government work. At the military level all the foremen and workers are going to have to be "competent" at least to respond to requests for information. A "qualified" person will have to be on site for any work whatsoever to take place.

So far I'm playing along..........nicely.

5. Incognito

We're getting a weeks pay------or normal wages plus gas. The course costs the company $750 per employee.

The shop screwed up bigtime. We just did 4 days of paid training for the OSHA 30 card. This course is a combined OSHA 30 and EM-385. So we've just reviewed the OSHA training for the first 20 hours and tomorrow they test out the OSHA group, dismiss them and we stay the course for the EMA 385 credit. So the wasted the cost of the initial training plus the 4 days pay for the two of us who've gone on to this one.

It's not as boring as the first instructor who REALLY focused his course on the..........FOUR major hazards in the workplace.

Falls
    hit by (something falling on or flying at you)
    caught between
    electrocution

I would say we spent a good 20-25 hours on ladders, scaffolds, trenching, safety harnesses, heavy equipment rules, roof work.......ZERO application to our trade no matter how you stretch the definition. Electrocution was somewhat interesting in that we do use some power tools in limited application.

Then you're talking about common sense stuff like housekeeping and maintaining clean, sharp, safe tools. A lot of it should "go without saying" as we like to say. But there's enough dummies who endanger themselves and others by failing to use common sense that we all now have to suffer these mundane and repetitive programs.

6. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

And the job is going to take you 2 days :D
    I agree with stupid is always going to be stupid
    That one I went to I told them my policy is tougher than theirs and showed them my wallet. If I hurt myself It ain't going to get full of money and also I had a $70 grand trip paid for and leaving in 2 weeks. I don't even want to be here. I want to be in cotton wool. :)

7. Incognito

I don't think we're going to run through this contract in 2 days.

It's a pretty big one. The jobs will be bid at fixed rates for all the various services-----demo, furniture, adhesive removal, moisture treatment, self-leveling, epoxy finishes, ceramic, VCT, carpet, vinyl, rubber, cove base, treads.....so much per unit with allowances for special circumstances.

It's really just the complications of COMPLIANCE with a relatively severe enforcement of a bezilion rules and regulations we're already supposed to know and follow.

We don't really know and we sure as hell don't follow them.

But we're gonna try.

8. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

I went through the OSHA 30 hr certification a few years ago. Complete waste of time....90% of it has to do with harnesses, ladders, scaffolding, etc. But you need it so that you can get on jobsites. It is a requirement so these people pay lower legalized racketeering, I mean insurance rates... :)
    Steve

9. Incognito

The EM-385 is military. So they don't give a crap about insurance Steve. More or less they are the last industry out there with the blank check to do whatever they want. So if anyone does get hurt...........how could they rationalize that?

Yeah, I HATE the fact that 90-95% is TOTALLY unrelated to our work. That's an objection to the process though, not the basic concept of comprehensive safety training.

Like installer trade skill competence though it's SHOCKING and disturbing to me that union journeyman can walk out of those schools without this already being under their belt.

Think about it. With hundreds of thousands and MILLIONS of members nationwide in so many trades and so many union admin/officers/trainers we should have this all locked up. We could FOCUS the OSHA and EMA-385 training to our trade so ALL of our journeyman could guarantee the customer/employer/GC/military that our men are "competent" and "Qualified" persons. It would be easy to get the state and fed OSHA behind us and with us on these efforts.

Just imagine a 40 hour course FOCUSED on real challenges and real solutions to OUR health and safety. I'll bet you or I could run one of those and it really wouldn't be all that complicated to design and prep for the curriculum. We're really not all that special either. Hundreds, if not thousands of men out there have similar experience and competency in our trade.

It's a no-brainer.