Alterna Vinyl Grout Problems

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Charliec, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Charliec

Charliec New Member

We are experiencing problems with Alterna vinyl grout cracking on a floor that is less than 6 months old. Any ideas as to what may be causing this? Thanks

2. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

A little more info would help.
    Several factors can cause group cracking.
    Where is it cracking? All over or localized.
    Plywood or concrete substrate?
    Was the material acclimated?
    Professionally installed or DIY?
    Was an excessive amount of water used to clean grout?
    What is the floor cleaned with and how often?
    When was this condition first noticed?

3. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

Agreed with what Chris said

If it was put over an existing floor and if there is any slight flex (movement) when you step on certain tiles it can slightly crack

Is it falling apart or just cracking (separating) from the tile. If it's falling apart it most likely was too wet or too dry when grouted (a tip is your supposed to mist the grout with a water bottle when it's spread) Did you watch it being grouted?. If it just separated from the tile it most likely can be your floor flexing.

The good part is if it is just mixed to watery/dry it can be regrouted. If it's cracking because of flexing you may be able to fix it, but it may happen again. Did the retailer sell you a sub floor?

Pictures can help us too

4. Charliec

Charliec New Member

Thanks for responding so quick

This is a kitchen located over top of a crawl space area. Plywood floor on wood joists. Original vinyl floor was over laid with new subfloor, then Alterna on top of that.

Work was by a professional flooring company.

Cracks appear to be linear and grout looks like it is separating from edge of tiles.

Started in one area, now appears to be all over. Mostly in areas where there is more foot traffic. First appeared approx 4 months after installation and more locations since then.

Thanks
    CharlieC

5. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

Sounds like a perfect example of it flexing and seperating from the tile, especially where you walk as you stated.
    My only advice would to have it regrouted, if it continues to happen you may have to deal with it. I did duraceramic over my old vinyl and it did the same thing by the fridge, only I notice it but it's still a eyesore for me.

How has the store handled the situation so far ?