All edges of older light colored carpet discolored where it meets the baseboards.

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Louise101, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Louise101

Louise101 New Member

Have bought three homes, at about the seven year mark where light colored carpets have brownish black edges uniformly all the way around the room...professional steaming does not remove this problem...what causes it and is the fix to buy a less expensive carpet knowing that this problem will recur and carpet will need replacing?

2. TwoStar

TwoStar Maybe Three

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

My theory. Dead zone, vacuums never pick up the crevice. Accumulation, basically, it's seven years of buildup. Also, dust cannot go any further, it hits wall and drops down. Could be big sparky holding dust in place. I know when I DIY with pest control I spray crevice. Carpet cleaning companies do not focus on crevice since no one walks next to wall, they focus on traffic. Maybe when carpets are cleaned the dry edges it wicks to edges. The air issue could also be part of it, movement along or under some walls.

Some homes have vents between rooms above the doors for air circulation, otherwise I recommend half inch clearance from bottom of door to finish flooring surface.

I forgot to say, Rusty tack pins from tackstrip when cleaned(excessive water) they rust and when drying pulls iron oxide up to fibers creating the stain.

4. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

It's soil filtration. Air movement within the home carries dirt/dust not only inside your home but within wall cavities as well. Air movement can pass through your your carpet carrying dirt and dust with it.

5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

And to add to Chris's comment the tips of the carpet fibers act as a filter catching the minuscule particles,the edges and under doors have this gray/black appearance.

6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Is it possible the tackstrip nails are getting too wet when cleaning then turning black, as they do, and staining the carpet?

7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You must have a central forced air heating system that is moving the air inside the house. That is what is the cause.

8. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If it is also on outside walls there could be air leakage one the plate.

:old:

Daris