Air Flow

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Mike Antonetti, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Whats it got to do with Flooring? It’s actually relevant to many things if you stop and think about it. When I was watering plants and the grass the other day to keep everything alive I reflected on the water damage restoration course I took. What I was observing was exactly how they dry air inside the home. The heat was on, sun shining down, lower humidity, wind was blowing and foolish me was trying to give the grass water. The plants, well I realized mulch will slow/block the moisture from evaporating to allow the plants to drink. Watering at night(I only have a hose and sprinkler so not an option right now)

Way back when I didn’t understand all the science we use to leave some open time for the adhesive to loose it’s water. Well stagnant air and high humidity not much evap happened.

Air scrubbers, I was told I believe at the odor control course that they need ducting at least 6 ft away to keep from recycling it’s exhaust. To kinda filter the whole room instead of a little cyclone loop.

Basements, what humidity levels are down there? Same theory for a dehumidifier, it needs airflow, blowers across wet carpet, ceiling fans to move air around and into a dehumidifier.

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I have a demo job coming up. Laminate floor in a lovely single wide. Water line on the fridge leaked, water squishing up between the boards blah blah. I told them that after I demo the floating floor, it’s gonna stink and they will need fans and dehues running for awhile. Probably even somebody to do some mold remediation if not replace all the subfloor. Why didn’t someone call a restoration company? Never thought I’d ever say that!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mike Antonetti

I sent a packet to a restoration company this morning. Somehow they left thinset and tile around cabinets. Another homeowner we finished the restoration companies demo after they fired them. They left a d-hu there for two months now. The supervisor came out today after we finished up and said wish I’d found you guys 3 weeks ago, we spent 500$ cleaning up. Man, some people don’t do math too well. If you can’t calculate us in and out of there in a day(for this job) and have your crew keep on keeping on its a lot more then 500$ plus lost time and other factors. When you have your numbers down and know your business/abilities profit follows.

4. Mike Antonetti

Question on Clothes Dryer. Say in winter when you have wood burning stove or just in general the air is dry. Would you if it were electric dryer just vent through a filter to the inside air considering this would add heat and humidity to the air? I’ve seen a couple of florida homes one vent in garage, they may not comprehend the moisture issue.

Attached Files:

5. Chris 45

People don’t realize just how much moisture is in a load of clothes going into the dryer. 9 to 14 pounds of moisture is removed from the average load. That’s a lot of moisture to be venting inside your house/ laundry room. At 8 pounds per gallon...

I’m also a fan of hard piping my dryer. I’ve seen too many clogged/ mangled flexible duct pipes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mike Antonetti

I agree, they’re junk, the way they attach is the cheesiest of a design in the whole house.

With a front loader I figured no more than 1/2 gallon but with your comment it can be determined by before and after wash. Some loads feel heavy or before dry after dry weigh them.

7. Chris 45

A full load of jeans, hoodies or other kinds of work clothes can really hold some moisture. Your wife’s blouses n such, not so much. I usually wait until I have a decent load to run before I run it so I’m prolly more towards the upper end.

8. Mike Antonetti

At the water damage restoration course I had many unasked questions, like how much water is in the air inside a home at 55% humidity per cubic ft or a room large enough to calculate a tangible amount, say a quart. I try to turn everything tangible guess that’s why I wasn’t good at abstract math. But at 100% humidity means the air can no longer hold any vapor? And will turn to a liquid. It will constantly try to equalize so what level should be desired to not waste energy trying to remove it.

How do you look at the humidity level of 50%, the room half full or half empty of humidity.

My slab now reads 47% it’s dry, using “my” definition.

Attached Files:

9. Mike Antonetti

In the interest of those Vapes at a stoplight when a cloud pours out of a car of a freak, I need smoke like that to check airflow, whether it’s my house, vacuum hose connections or just tracking air movement so I found a source, signed up to maybe get a discount to order.

Dragon Puffer Air Flow Indicator

Attached Files:

10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If you have chalk, just puff a cloud out of that.

11. Mike Antonetti

12. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If you have a soft bottle, like a nose spray bottle, put chalk or white patch in it to puff just like it. That is expensive on amazon, you can get one at a bow shop for much less.

• Like Like x 1