Advice needed for extra thick thinset removal

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by tidd120, May 4, 2019.

1. tidd120

tidd120 New Member

Hello, I'm a new member. I removed tile in my kitchen, (10'x15' area), and found that the thinset put down is from 1/8" to 3/4" thick. I'm wondering if a "concrete prep tool with a Diamabrush removal tool" from Home Depot will be sturdy enough to do the job? I coulsn't get a straight answer from the guys at HD.

Thnaks.

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

almost certainly no....
    Wood or concrete sub-floor???
    When it comes to mortar removal i'm usually into it with a Demo-Hammer and a small flat chisel head... then diamond grinding. Much Grinding

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tidd120

tidd120 New Member

Hi Mark, it's a concrete sub-floor. I'm guessing a hammer jack would be too light duty correct?

4. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

We use our big 20” floor grinder with a vacuum
    See if you can rent a 7” dustless grinder and vacuum setup
    That area should just take a few hours to remove back to a clean slab.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Mark Brown

You use just a grinder when its that thick epoxyman.... i think i have been missing something

6. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Yep I’ll run hard diamonds on the big floor grinder and it will eat it right up
    At least it does for me.

Mike demoed a kitchen last year for me and it was thick in spots and he also took it up with his grinder.
    Lot of bags of dust but works well

7. Mark Brown

Well, now that it is much too late, i learn something new :p

8. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I usually try to demo hammer tile simultaneous and remove thinset as well nowadays. There’s many variations but “thick” thinset usually doesn’t bond well when applied thicker than 3/8”. Grinding is residual ridges and flattening.

When thinset is thin chisel as well unless thinset is soft and chiseling would be calculated to take longer. Then I figure exertion level, diamond wear, extra bagging, etc.

Way back in the day when I didn’t consider chipping tile and thinset at same time I went through 4 diamond blades at 100$ a piece let alone I believe it was 7pm at night in Tampa, extremely hard thinset. Those jobs you learn what you don’t want to do. Even the 6” flex blade would be an extra step.

Hardness of slab, angle of chisel bit to not dig into slab.

This is all done with dust extractors of course.

9. Beth Johns

Beth Johns New Member

Really helpful. Thanks for posting guys.

10. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

We try! Sometimes people don’t hear