Advice about carpet recovery

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by haysly_78, Feb 11, 2019.

1. haysly_78

haysly_78 New Member

Hello everyone. A couple of days ago we had a washer incident that flooded the nearby carpet, we cleaned up the water and I had a carpet cleaner so we sucked up all the water, but the next day it happened again, well to our efforts the smell of mildew kicked in. We tried various methods (Vinegar, borax, baking soda, Peroxide, and even using the carpet shampoo that came with my carpet cleaner) but still no change. Any tips or advice would be great, last step is to call a carpet cleaner but honestly my wife and I are recovering from some bad luck with our house that cost us a pretty penny. So any DIY tips? Please I am desperate here.

Thank you

2. Jvan

Jvan Pro Member

Sounds like you still have a water problem. Most likely the carpet pad is soaked and subfloor is wet. The general procedure for water damage is to pull the carpet loose from the walls in the affected area, remove and dispose soaked pad, have blowers running for a day or two(blowing air under the carpet) and dehumidifier going as well.

Once everything is dry you can treat the carpet and sublfoor with various inhibitors but new pad is needed to replace the wet area removed. Then the carpet must be restretched properly. Its not an a simple thing if lots of water got into your carpet.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Sorry you're desperate, remember ! this too shall pass. Follow jvan's advise,
    it's good !!

Home depo or Rental centers rent the blowers and probably de-humidifier.
    The blowers are specially designed for drying out the bottom of carpet and floor, but only after the padding is removed and discarded. Cut pad in small pcs. and place in trash bags, to keep the water down. No other fans will do the job that's required, so don't even try........ However, if your carpet is glued down w/ no padding, it should be removed and either trashed or dried out in another area, using the blower, then, you could use normal fans to dry out the floor, all the while using the dehumidifier until she reads 35 to 40%

Concrobium mold and mildew spray works well, just follow the directions and
    cautionary information. Got any pictures ?

Mike

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Where you located? If in the MD area I have some blowers you could use. Also willing to help you out on the padding.

• Like Like x 4