Adhesive tubes for repairs?

Discussion in 'Carpet Sales and Installations' started by Barry Carlton, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I have about 400 yds of carpet in a meeting hall that is starting to bubble in various places after about 11 years. U was out of town when this was installed so cannot answer any questions about the original install. I have been asked to repair these bubbles on an individual basis as they occur. currently there are quite a few and some are rather large. All are larger than I want to use a hypodermic on. I do not want to add a lot of seams in this situation. It is a double stick and the pad is still adhered well. It's the carpet that is bubbling. Steaming worked on the first area I tried but I think that fresh adhesive would better use of my time as well as more long term. I am doing this on a volunteer basis.

Is there an adhesive in a tube like a caulking tube out there that might work?

Maybe Elmer Fudd may have some ideas for this hall?

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I hear tell of painters reloadin caulking guns with custom colored caulk (white caulk and the same paint/tint)

So maybe try a paint store to see how they go about that and then just use a cheaper grade of multi-purpose so it will be easy to load and squirt. I'd want to use something the size of the larger tubes of construction adhesive if that's possible.

I've never seen multi-purpose in a tube but there's no good reason it couldn't be inserted from the backside of an empty tube.

I'd still pass the steamer after an hour or so to get those wrinkles moved around to where they'll be happy to stick back down.

3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

There used to be an adhesive that was in a caulk tube but I don't know if is still out there or not. I think it was called Bubble Gum glue. I used it once and it was a bear to work the glue around under the carpet as it was quite thick.
    Have you tried using watered down carpet adhesive and inserting it under there and working it around or even contact adhesive?

:old:

Daris

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Jim Walker back in the day suggested a grease gun(new) converted into a glue gun with a type of needle insert. I made a few different applications using grease guns over the years.

Forgot, I got a few caulking gun empty tubes from West Marine, you could probably get em cheaper online, not sure. I believe after using white cartridge tubes I cleaned some out to reuse for custom color caulk, grout, but was too time consuming.

The caulkers use reloadable caulk guns with sausage packs, mostly for bulk application, the insert into carpet is the trick, Jim Walker recommended a longer tube to maneuver around when underneath carpet.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  5. Daris Mulkin

The needle was for greasing some bearing on a Ford.

Daris

• Like Like x 1
  6. Guys,

Gundlach actually makes a modified grease gun tool for this application. Here's the link:

Gundlach Midget Glue Pump

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

I hadn't seen that, why small? Also I think I'd want to add flex hose. The needle in my opinion should be 1 foot long, this way you could maneuver inside the bubble without having multiple poke holes and reduced spots for an adhesive mess.

Does Gundlach actually make anything or are they an outlet for manufacturers?

They don't sell direct to end users.

• Like Like x 1
  8. They tend to work through distribution or supply houses. They do in house development, but I don't know that they actually make many tools.

There's been a couple of these I've seen before. Nothing as well made though. The reason for the stiff tube rather than a flexible hose is so that you can use it one handed and still direct the glue where you want it to go. A flex hose would mean you'd have to aim the hose/end with one hand and squeeze with the other. This would allow you to grab the carpet and lift with a pair of pliers while you were inserting the glue and directing it around under the carpet.

9. Mike Antonetti

Interesting, or an awl. What's the adhesive for double stick? Haven't really actually installed it ever, though learned about it in classes. Wonder what repair adhesive would be used as there's zero open time, compatible with existing adhesive. I'd wonder if this is a whack-a-mole scenario if spot directly next to will pop up.

10. Cheap multipurpose to install the pad and pressure sensitive to install the carpet to the pad is typical.

11. Mike Antonetti

I assumed it was the other way around due to breathability.

12. Daris Mulkin

Whether Gundlach makes the stuff I don't know for sure. I do know they have a couple of guys from Canada that invents stuff for them. Maurice and his son used to do it. I haven't been to surfaces in a couple of years and I know Maurice was in bad health at one point. The big squeezy was made because of a comment I made to Steve Gundlach that we needed a stretcher that an iron could run under. Unbeknown to me they came out with a tool that I have in my garage that was made in the 70's by my old boss only in a smaller version. Mine you have to stand on to use them.
    Talk to your tool companies, they do listen at times.

Daris

• Like Like x 2
  13. I don't see a lot of double stick anymore either. Maybe once or twice a year. It's kind of gone the way of the axminster backings. I think the main reason is that carpet tile has become so prevalent. About the only time I see them anymore is if somebody is doing a funeral home. They seem to use a lot of pattern carpet in those.

I've met Maurice and I try and always stop and talk to those guys at Surfaces. They try to innovate quite a bit and they come up with some pretty good ideas. I was just talking to Greg last week. It's good to see owners take such an active roll in their companies. He's just a normal flooring guy and he's very passionate about his company and the industry. Their all good people over there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

I think you have that backwards .
    I was taught using pressure sensitive
    Under the cushion and a premium multi- purpose between the cushion and the carpet

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Incognito

YUP!
    The pad glue needs to be pressure sensitive and allowed to fully dry so the whole system is easy to demo. On top of the Tredmor pad you need premium multipurpose with as HUGE a notch as you can swing without oozing through the backing/face maerial and making a big mess of the seaming process.

I've done a ton of these repairs and there's no good solution besides doing it correctly the first time.

To REPAIR you will want to use a watered down glue so you can get it to flow freely through whatever mechanism you choose to get it in there between the pad and the backing. I've done plenty with and without the steamer. I always wished I had a steamer when there was not one available.

16. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Thanks guys. Great tips...mostly reminders of things I'd forgotten. I have found empty tubes on line for cheap. Between that and my steamer, I should be able to buy the time they want till it is replaced.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mike Antonetti

I think a lot of us are like Daris, forgetting more than we know, like someone saying why didn't you do it this way, crap I forgot.

18. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Cove base adhesive in qt. tubes. Cut a tiny slit in the carpet and inject the glue, move it around with a seam roller. Very easy to use and no messy loading tubes etc.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Incognito

Cove base glue is.................generally going to work as effectively, if not better than multi-purpose. The Mapai cove base glue is yellow and still plenty tacky the next day. So the question is only how much to SMOOSH under there.

Good call Fudd.

20. Incognito

BTW, did a 300 s/y direct glue down job at Edwards Air Force Base a few weeks back. Ran out of multi purpose with about 10 square yards to finish------100 miles from home. I had the boys smear the cove base glue and tractor down the goods for a good 10 minutes or so and come back 20 minutes later to check for solid bond.

Pretty sure the cove base glue is a stronger bond in the long run====and the short run-----just extra labor.