Actionbac vs. Softbac?

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by StacieB, Apr 10, 2017.

1. StacieB

StacieB Member

Is one better than the other? I believe Softbac is newer, any issues with install or wear?

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

They both have issues when not installed properly. Softbac was invented to protect trim, walls and baseboards during the install. But shaw found out it was more demensionally stable with the addition of the fleece. So now we are in the second generation of softbac -Platinum. I believe it is warranted for 10 years against restretching~AGAIN IF IT IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY.
    Action back has been around since the 70's and has held up good. So basically carpet today is a piece of plastic. That is why the mills want a very firm pad under it because it can't take the give and take of the traffic.
    Oh, softbac has actionback underneath it Which makes it a 3 backing system.

:old:

Daris

Take me back to the 60's carpet

3. Ed

Ed Charter Member

I like the softback. That is what I would prefer in my own home as long as it is available in the style and color we were wanting. I have seen far fewer issues with the pieces with it than those without it. It probably runs a dollar or two per yard higher. Well worth it in my opinion. Obviously you have to be comparing apples to apples. In other words not a high end piece without it to a low end piece with it.
    Lets say you find two equal pieces , one with, and one without, and install them in two bedrooms side by side. When the installer is finished both rooms will look the same but one of them costs a few bucks more. After some period of time, the one without is MUCH more likely to develop some wrinkles. Those wrinkles will wear worse, attract dirt, and eventually delaminate.
    Now someone may chime in and say they don't have problems with wrinkling because they power stretch (which they should),but I doubt any would disagree that the carpet with the softback is going to help it last longer.

4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

At one time Softbac only went on Shaw's higher end carpets. I don't know if it is still that way or not. Been out of the loop to long.

:old:

Daris

5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Softbac seems to be a lot better over the long haul, in my opinion.

6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Nice that you're asking about "the whole product" not just what's on the surface. Eds got some good points. I've seen the balance of quality from the surface fibers to backing unbalanced. I've been wondering how backing construction makes a carpet wrinkle when some are so loose, but still not bubbled, meaning the expansion of the carpet is able to be absorbed within the backing without pushing up on the carpet.

7. Ed

Ed Charter Member

Years ago, when we tore out tons of residential jute back, it was not uncommon for it to be so stiff the backing would actually crack in half if creased. The older it got, the stiffer it got. That stuff wasn't likely to wrinkle. You don't see that anymore. Its all limp as an old dish rag. Softbac helps with that in my opinion.