Accommodating Sewer Access Port in Room with LVP

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Robert L, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Robert L

Robert L New Member

Hello, all. I'm installing some Shaw vinyl plank flooring over the concrete in my basement, and I wasn't sure how to handle the ~4" sewer access port (see picture at bottom).

In short, I would guess my two options are:
    1. cutting a circle out of (two strips of) the plank flooring before laying it down
    2. installing some sort of rectangular, plastic cover* over top of the port and cutting a rectangle out of the planks
    Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

* vaguely like this:
    box.jpg
    but plastic, and without the back.

sewer_access_floor.jpg

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I search a bit for stuff that's not used for its purpose, it's exhausting. What's the diameter? Is there holes in that existing one?(gases?)
    Is it below slab,pitched down like a drain?

How often used? Is it walked over?

3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I like to get a 4” PVC drain cap (more like a cover than a cap). I cut the height down appropriately then insert it into a scribed and cut hole. Looks better than most other options in its price range.

4. Robert L

Robert L New Member

sewer_access_closeup_2.jpg
    The diameter of the pipe is 4", and is likely to be walked on at some point.
    The existing cap is in good shape, and is raised slightly above the surrounding slab.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Wire brush and paint? Grease threads so it doesn’t rust together. So the protrusions upward is for a wrench, the opposite (square insert) you could put many plates over.