Acclimating Cork

Discussion in 'Cork Flooring Q&A' started by Mike Antonetti, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

About a year ago, a lady called me for removal of ceramic tile, she was going to add on to existing cork floors. I asked her a few questions to determine feasibility, she said she ran a few flooring stores, so she knew what she was doing.

She sent a piece to wherever to ensure the locking mechanism was still compatible, color, etc. all was good, she had the flooring on hand so we did the demo. What kind of surprised me was her acclimating it, here's a picture, the existing floor was in pristine shape.

Attached Files:

2. Hey Mike...she's doing exactly what she should. Boxes should be opened (not stacked) and the planks left in the box for 2-3 days. This acclimation process can be longer if there are extreme weather during transport/delivery.

Extreme = very cold (around freezing); very hot (above 25C or 80 F), snowing, etc., or high/low humidity.

She's done a beautiful job of acclimating.

3. Mike Antonetti

I was impressed, she worked/managed a Carpet one and a Prosource for 20 or so years. I would think she served them well.

4. My hat's off to her as well. Not many people "understand" cork. It looks like she has more than just the basics! Good for her!

5. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

She's doing a nice job acclimating the cork but how is the customer supposed to know if the product was transported during extreme weather? Seems to me if there is extreme weather maybe the mfg shouldn't ship it.

6. If you can open your door and it feels quite cold or very hot...then it is "extreme" (outside of "normal" indoor living conditions). The farther away from indoor living conditions the longer you want product to "sit" at living conditions. For cork 3 days is ideal...unless you are installing in Hawaii in summer time or Alaska in winter. Then you want to give it another day or 2.

If we stopped delivering product outside of "normal indoor living conditions" we would ship product for 6 weeks a year...all the rest of the year it would sit waiting for 'perfect' timing. As you can see, that doesn't happen.

7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

A little unrealistic, I think. All the consumer has to do is check the weather - look out the window, watch the news, call 1-800-weather. It's easy enough, but the problem is, manufacturers don't make those warnings as accessible as they should be.

Jim

8. Mike Antonetti

I have a thermometer/humidity monitor on a peg in my trailer, today I went to get something out of it and it read 124 degrees, I have some small cans of adhesive and sundry items, so our outside temp was @94, a/c hasn't shut off all day, it's 78 set at 74. Wife wants to blame me cause I cut all the trees down.

So I'm not sure the temp in the tractor trailers running around the state.

9. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

And you can imagine what the temp gets up to inside shipping containers as deck cargo when they cross the equator bringing rolls of vinyl down to us and what state the rolls are in if they have fallen over in the container

10. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

I was being a little sarcastic Jim. But thats my point. The mfg don't make information like that available and when a job blows up its blamed on the installer or homeowner.

11. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

What I was wondering is we all recognize how diligent and competent this customer was in HER home with regard to acclimation. Wonder if the same level of quality control went into the organization and scheduling of her subcontractors when she was running a flooring operation.

It's all about PLANNING and SCHEDULING as far as acclimation goes. You need to negotiate the delivery in advance, climate control, possibly testing or monitoring for humidity/temp/ventilation.

No?

An independent contractor working out of a store would have any control over those variables unless they are a part of the sales, negotiations and scheduling.

With commercial space there's often no place to store materials and no time to allow them to set open and acclimating. Blow and go.