Accessing floor condition to do it right

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by Journey, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Journey

Journey Active Member

After going to a tile store to look at tile the salesperson said that the substrate needs to be perfectly flat in order to use Square Tile and in my case it's a Concrete basement floor that has a slight taper towards the drains in every direction and the salesman said that I would need to use mosaic tile in that situation which takes the cost of the project Out Of Reach. Is it possible that the salesperson was mistaken and that there is a way to work around that slight pitch without the cost of self leveling compound etc etc. I'm going to attempt to attach a photo to this posting

Attached Files:

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I was going to recommend mosaic to begin with to pitch to drain. How will you isolate shower area from bathroom floor?

Mosaic, even 6x6 can follow contours of floor.

3. Journey

Journey Active Member

The shower is separated by wall and a step over curb. I attempted to upload a photo I'm not certain if it uploaded. I was considering in finding cheap $1 12 inch square tile for the floor out in the bathroom area but the Mosaic is way too pricey for my budget. I really would like to tile it but I might have to end up painting it because of price constraint

4. Journey

Journey Active Member

Does a floor have to be perfectly level in order to install 12x12 ceramic tile in a 8 by 8 foot area?

5. Mike Antonetti

Ok, thought the whole floor was same level and you wanted to do curbless shower.

Not perfectly flat, 3/16" in 10 ft? Is a tolerance, maybe get a straightedge to see.

6. Lazarus

Lazarus Pro Member

Mike. On LFT, I understand that it is 1/8" over 10 feet.....

7. Mike Antonetti

Yeah, maybe that's new that TCNA came up with, leverage for setters to use.

8. Lazarus

Lazarus Pro Member

TCNA Specs have called for that for quite some time.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2017
  9. Mike Antonetti

I find it hard for setters to get it to those specs, they usually don't have the money to buy the equipment needed to grind high spots, or pour to those specs. Nor does the customer want to pay for it. Hence, lippage with plank tile.

10. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Most things are caught when looking for them. Don't forget to look! If in doubt, add more prep and sell the customer on the fact that a well prepped floor will last longer and will be a better investment long term.

11. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You need a tile that will follow the slope and that would be smaller than a 12 x12. I have seen 12" tile cut down to slope to a drain, looks ok but out of place.

12. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Nothing wrong with taking the field tile and cutting them down to say, 4x4's to make that slope. It would take a few minutes, but save some money.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Your back Kman, been awhile. Probably a new topic.