Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Daris Mulkin, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

WEll I never thought it would happen but I start my 54th year today of installing mostly carpet but have done hard surface and ceramic also. Carpet was my love. Still do a job now and again but not much anymore, just when the phone rings.

:old:

Daris

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

54.... YEARS??
    Thats crazy talk Daris, I would say congratulations but it goes against everything i believe in lol so instead ill just say, uh, CHEERS

• Like Like x 2
  3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

You’re the man!

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

And still a sense of Humor!

5. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your vast knowledge and experience with us here!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Commercial Floor Rep

I just did the math and that's 378 dog years. Wow!!!

7. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

there aren't many people I'd let insinuate that I'm a dog, but you are one of them. lol

:old:

Daris

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Commercial Floor Rep

Thanks. I had to take my shoes and socks off to do the calculation. :yesss::hmmm::hu: Ladies in the office were a bit pissed but hey that's an amazing accomplishment so it was worth it.

Seriously, congratulations. It's obvious that you're passionate and care about the industry. Thanks for doing what you do!

9. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

If my health wouldn't have taken a dump, I would have accumulated 47 years by now. I still have that 47 years, but the last 13 of it has been only managing this flooring forum. I know it counts, but just barely in my mind.

Congratulations on that huge milestone, Daris.

10. Mark Brown

You have been laying flooring for 12 years longer than I have been alive, and I was grumpy when i realized I had been doing it for half of my life

11. Commercial Floor Rep

Hold it there a second Jim...

Don't discount your time. I don't think you realize the impact TFP has for us here. The sharing of information here has helped me and my customers over the past 11 years tremendously. You provide this space for that information exchange to occur and as such you're every bit as important as any of us here. You're a full timer in the industry just like any of us here and this time DOES count.

While I do hold those who've installed for their livelihood above pretty much anyone else in the industry, your presence and this site provide an invaluable service and your time here is every bit as important as the time you spent on your knees.

Not all of us can physically do the job anymore. Just because Daris is a stud terminator with a body built for abuse doesn't mean you should feel bad. :p I had my knee replaced 6 years ago. I couldn't spend more than 10 minutes on my knees anymore and I'd be in trouble even with Pro Knees. I've had trouble even getting down to do things when I'm on a claim. But we all serve the industry in the best ways we can and that's just as important.

I'm sure you miss installing and that's where you were coming from. Just know that, and I think I can speak for the regulars here, we don't view your contributions as any less because you can't install.

;) Know that you're appreciated and thanks for everything you do too!!!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  12. Commercial Floor Rep

Mark,

You're probably just grumpy 'cause of all the Rush you have (had) to listen to. :p I'd feel the same way. :D;) Bahahahahaha!

13. Mark Brown

A modern-day warrior
    Mean, mean stride
    Today's Tom Sawyer
    Mean, mean pride

And that's all I have to say about that.
    And daris for that case.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Daris I am one year behind you. I started when I was 20 and I am fast approaching 73
    I am in the process of selling my mothers old house which I was bought up in which could fetch close to a New Zealand million dollars and then I will see what jobs I will do in the future. Dont want to know commercial, travel over our Harbour Bridge with all the traffic etc etc. I still like to do some work as it keeps me supple along with giving the brain something to do

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mark Brown

You folks are literally my hero's.
    At 35 I have already tried to turn tail and run up off my knees once and so help me exit strategy 50 is my new plan. I cannot imagine how you keep it going that far on.
    Hats off to you gentlemen.

16. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Believe me, you are not unusual in that regard. I tried to leave the business a couple of times. I think there's something coating the tack strip pins though. You get poked by one a them and it causes a reaction that never quite goes away. You keep wanting to go back for more.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I think that the money Daris and I got years ago was a lot better in the early days which was a lot better than the equivalent to the prices of the laying rates today. I always seemed to have more money in my pocket then or am I just slowing down in my old age? :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mark Brown

I try and complain about the money I make... but then I realize that I never want for anything, I'm saving for retirement and my house is paid for and then I promptly shut the hell up lol

That being what it is, in the 17 years I have been in the trade I have seen the carpet install rate rise by about uh... maybe 15 percent where as inflation in that time has been over 34% as an aggrigated average which is in fact a decline in rate.

This is why I try not to think too much and just install because I like it.

It's the time you spend on the cruise ship that you aren't installing my friend.

19. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

I've been saying for years, "Once you get sawdust in your shoes, you'll never get it out."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

It’s more like a gambling addiction. You know the house always wins, but also you know the feeling of those jackpots!

• Funny Funny x 1