5 days, 2 stairways

Discussion in 'Spotlight on Flooring Professionalism' started by Daris Mulkin, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Here are 2 stairways that I just did that took me 5 days The foyer set had to be a runner and bound. U used squeeze clamps to hold the carpet under the lip and to fit. Then took them back off bound them and installed them. Risers were done separately. Lower stairs were wall to wall and risers were connected to the steps. Plus a lower landing that had to be wrapped.

P1010041.JPG P1010042.JPG P1010041.JPG P1010040.JPG P1010048.JPG P1010049.JPG P1010041.JPG P1010042.JPG P1010044.JPG P1010040.JPG P1010048.JPG P1010049.JPG P1010041.JPG P1010042.JPG P1010044.JPG P1010040.JPG P1010048.JPG P1010049.JPG

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Really nice. What carpet?

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Very nice Daris, when you look at stairs done correctly, you don’t know how long it took, but when they’re hacked you just say man, they must’ve done that fast and loose.

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

So I wasn't the only stair wizard doing stairs. I did 5 staircases in 5 straight days. Finally got a kitchen to do and oh, so nice to be on the flat again.

5. Daris Mulkin

I believe it was Milliken. 13' 6" goods. Stiffer than a board and it took three times across it with a knife to cut it. Hair dryer softened it after about 5 minutes.
    Carpet was cut in a cold garage didn't help much, sometimes with the door open.
    Oh, there is no set place for a certain pattern. Customer didn't want it.

:old:

Daris

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

Looks great Daris, funky pattern, did you chisel out the cove moldings under the nose, on the staircase w/ the runner ?

Five days sounds good to me

Mike

7. Daris Mulkin

Didn't have to. This was a replacement and the carpenter must have precut them and put them on , on the initial build. Made it easier to make the risers and precut the first inch of the carpet to go over the step.
    I kind of figured it took me 2 1/2 hours to do 3 steps.

:old:

Daris