38 year old Congoleum Restoration

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Bowwie, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Bowwie

Bowwie New Member

I`am currently cleaning my Mother`s 38 year old Farm House Kitchen Flooring.

I`am lightly using SOS pads to strip any foreign/applied substances from the old Congoleum.

Most of the floor (after SOS`ing) has a dull appearance to it (some outer/hidden areas are still in perfect condition-glossy).

This dullness has been with the floor for many years (decades).

The flooring has small factory dimple`s (which have foreign material embedded in the depressions), impossible to remove with the SOS cleaning method, without damaging the flooring.

Please recommend my cleaning/coating options after I finish the SOS cleaning operation.
    IMG_0919.JPG IMG_0918.JPG

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Can you get a photo from far enough away to see the bigger picture AND contrast that with the areas you say look to be in near new condition? This will tell what's happened to the surface layer as far as disoloration and wear and tear. From thos photos it looks like the color is fading from the higher texture, probably from traffic but unless I can see what the material is supposed to be the photos above are not real clear for me.

3. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

This is most likely a "no-wax" type of vinyl. So in theory there's never a need to strip and wax. It's a, CLEAR surface layer over a print of the brick pattern. Looks like something is worn off, probably that clear layer for the most part. Essentially, there's nothing there to refurbish once the clear layer wears off and the actual printed colors/pattern are affected. You might actually be seeing some of the backing. Hard to be sure.

4. Bowwie

Bowwie New Member

Yes, I believe it is a "no-wax" vinyl. No backing is showing. BUT, she has applied several coats of Wax (of some type) throughout the years. I will be stripping these Wax Layers off, after I finish lightly scrubbing (sos`ing) the floor.

Attached Files:

5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I sure wouldn't be using SOS pads (or any other kind of steel wool type product) on vinyl flooring. There are a lot of products you can use to clean the floor without abrading the surface. SOS will remove wear layer, which it looks like you may still have some of after all this time.

Try some WD-40 and a terry cloth rag.

6. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Or preferably ArmourAll, which is a plasticizer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bowwie

Bowwie New Member

My SOS`ing operation is a go. It is NOT doing any harm to this 38 year old flooring. This flooring`s wear-layer is TOUGH ! (is all I can say). I`am thinking on applying several coats of a clear gloss floor sealer ( CoverShield VS1 Fast Drying 1 Part Coating H/Gloss ) after the SOS cleaning and then stripping. 1-GAL-CoverShield-VS1-Gloss-2.jpg

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Not sure but it looks like a Congoleum vinyl floor to me. Armstong makes some cleaners and sealers that might work also.

9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I agree, I’d stick with Armstrong chemicals. I haven’t used the coatings but their once n done neutral cleaner was my go to cleaning product.

• Agree Agree x 1