3 color random plank layout different boxes

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by MitchM, Dec 12, 2017.

1. MitchM

MitchM New Member

My installer is nervous about mixing different colors from different boxes. It is interlocking and he says if they were milled on different machines there will be enough of a difference and not lock up perfectly. He thought the different colors would come from the same box. I bought the colors separately. Armstrong costumer service says it shouldn’t be a problem.

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Only one way to find out. Would be worth opening a box of each and seeing how they will fit together before you go tearing your house apart. I would think that as long as they were all the same product, just different colors, things should work out.

3. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Yes, do a "mock-up"

that means TRIAL install with at least enough material to convince yourself and your installer that it will work fine. If necessary PAY the man $100 to show up and inspect the conditions of your site and the suitability of your materials for the project.

Time is money...............in case you weren't aware of that phenomena.

4. MitchM

MitchM New Member

Ok, I’ll do a couple boxes. The workers were confident that it wouldn’t work. Their boss is coming tomorrow to have a look at the situation. I wonder if the workers getting to leave early had anything to do with it. If no one here has heard of having issues when combining boxes that may not of been made during the same factory run then I’ll do the trial.

5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Did not know Armstrong was in the costume business, ya learn something new every day! o_O:)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Chris 45

Not necessarily something that happens a lot but I’ve experienced it before. In fact it was an Armstrong product that I’ve had this issue with. That’s why you need to open up a few boxes and check things out. Side joints and butt joints should all be checked to see how they interface with each other.

Post some pictures when it’s all done.

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Diversifying!

I agree, I’d put 10 together to see if they are same length, then width.

I know same product produced at later date there are differences. (Congoleum Duraceramic)

8. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Your installer is right to hesitate. If you had whole rows of the same there would be no issue, but even a tiny amount of variance in sizes can mess you up

9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I got it, your speaking locking joints, just for keeping joints straight I was thinking. Hard enough with same color to keep tight and flat. I think machines wear out and cut differently.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MitchM

MitchM New Member

Looking pretty good. No issues yet.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chris 45

Very nice!

12. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Looks good, incredibly difficult to have both balance and randomness when dealing with different colors.

• Like Like x 1
  13. sherriam

sherriam New Member

Looks fabulous!