3/16" in 10' Flatness Specificaion

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by go-rebels, Dec 11, 2017.

1. go-rebels

go-rebels Member

OK, so I've read this spec in many threads since I've found this forum (along with "3/16 inch in a 10 square foot radius", which makes no sense). This is purely a linear measurement so what type of straight edge do you use to measure this specification? Do you fellas carry around a 10' long steel bar stock, in either a flat or "L" shaped profile? Can't use wood as it will certainly bow with temperature and humidity.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

I carry a six foot level that is guaranteed accurate within 0.00050" and a taper guage, as most wood instructions cite x/x" within 6' OR y/y" within 10'. If a 10' measurement is required, you can always use a string and a couple of buckets.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. go-rebels

go-rebels Member

How do you use a string if the floor is convex (up in middle?) It would look the same as if the floor were flat unless you raise the ends of the string by a quarter inch or so.

And that sounds like a lot of work...
  4. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

Tie two loops in your string the proper length so you can set your buckets ten feet apart. Make a mark on your buckets at whatever height you desire, just so they're the same. Set loops on mark, even tape them if you like. Use ruler. Best to not use a tape measure due to clip on end.
  5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Most of the time I used lengths of baseboard, since the kinds of jobs that required hard surface flooring also required baseboard. Some installers don't do baseboards, but I made a lot of extra income by offering that service. I checked the straightness of base by laying my 6' straight edge and the base side-by-side.
  6. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Personally i like the string myself. When i do it alone i just set something with a little weight on one end of the string and walk around the room finding my hi's and low's. Sand,grind, bust up high spots. Fill your low spots.
  7. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I use a laser and tape measure works good so far takes time but it works
  8. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

String here.......quick, easy, & cheap!
  9. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I don't have a choice.

We have inspectors...........city, county, school district, military, hospital, manufacturers of critical equipment.

aluminum rectangular tubing - Google Search

They show up with lasers MUCH more sensitive and critical than I carry. But I always revert to the 10-12' screed rod to PROVE my point.

It's not expensive in the context of what I do. But I'd imagine a homeowner would not want to spend 50-60 bucks for a one time test.
  10. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Just put a marble in the center of the floor and see if it rolls. :p
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I carry a 10 foot screed and a laser.
    When people don't believe my laser I beat them with my screed.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1