12x12 slate on wall behind wood burning stove???

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by Orlando, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Orlando

Orlando Charter Member

Helping a friend, going to install 12x12 approx 5/16 thick slate on diagonal behind wood burning stove.
    This slate has a real rough texture in areas. What should I use to seal before grouting. I was wondering if I used a permanant sealer that the heat may affect it?
    Also would you full spread them or is putting thinset in 4 corners and in the center acceptable?
    Any tips would be appreciated

2. Jeff Needham

Jeff Needham Pro Member

There are a number of grout release products you can apply, which should have no flammablity or toxicity issues with the stove, at leastr as long as you don't build a fire till you've completed your job. And absoultely, you should full spread your mortar!

3. Orlando

Orlando Charter Member

Wasnt worried about flammibilty but if heat would make it discolor or peel

4. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I've not used it, but heard good things about this sealer: Miracle Sealants Company
    It's rated for outdoor use, so I imagine it would hold up to the heat from the stove. Since slate is so porous, the sealer should bond fairly well and resist pealing.

Definitely a full spread to hold up the expansion/contraction of the high temps. What will you bond the slate to? If it's sheetrock, I would cut it out and replace it with 1/2" cement board. Nothing written in stone about that, just my personal preference.

5. Orlando

Orlando Charter Member

Yes already have cement board installed, It was suggested to use non modified mortar becuase the heat could break down the latex. Is this correct?
    Many thanks

6. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Never heard that. :hu:

7. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

Me niether. But that does kindda sound reasonabley possible. Really no need to use modified anyways. Good luck to ya.....:cool: