11 Cartons Static Dissipative Tile

Discussion in 'Spotlight on Flooring Professionalism' started by Incognito, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Friday of last week.

Heavy texture and paint overspray on existing multi-purpose adhesive actually helped the adhesive removal. I was able to pass the sander with the 12 grit paper right over and it took off 80-90% of the paint/mud/carpet glue. So all I had to do was quickly hand scrape with the 4" Personna Food Blades. Two hours and I was ready to clean, patch and smear the glue. By 9AM I was done smearing glue and thinking about getting on the road home for an early day.

Attached Files:

2. Incognito

Whoops!!!!

I forgot the copper strip on one end. Had to pull up the tile, reglue some under and over the copper flatwire.

Attached Files:

3. Incognito

Then!!!

I'm about to call my wife and make plans for the afternoon as she was on Christmas break from her school when the Super comes up and drags me over to another room.

SERIOUSLY???

Nothing on my work order whatsoever about what rooms we're supposed to do. The GC points and I do what he says. NOT the way it's supposed to work but we've worked with this guy forever and a day so I know he's not jerking my chain. Turned into a full 8 hours. Had to burn out a couple rows of VCT and hand scrape-----10'x12'.

Couldn't get the cove base on that day-----they will need to build the walls before that can get done.

Attached Files:

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Black thinspread, I haven't used that in 20 years. The last one I did it was like clear pressure sensitive glue.

5. Incognito

Target department stores and Ralph's supermarkets specify the black thin spread----Armstrong.

I don't love it. This one is of course easier than the 2-part epoxy but dont get any on the tile. Whatever the muck they put in there to make it conductive stains the hell out the surface and doesn't come off. Solvent only makes it stain deeper. Steel wool or replace the tiles is the only thing I know.

6. ScribeRight

ScribeRight Pro Member

That friggen Glue is Toxic ! We had to wear a respirator and it burned our eyes , Not sure if you had that problem it's been about 5 years ago . Like every manufacturer they change their chemicals every 2 weeks and don't think we will notice ! Not the same smell as the 700 black no way, We used the black emulsions up here forever they were much better than the clear garbage that moves around under your knees, now for the DIY Tree Huggers . Back in the day everything was in a Tin can and only gas or thinner could get it off your hands lol. And we never had moisture failures on concrete like this Latex Crap water solvable garbage today

7. JPfloor

JPfloor Pro Member

I've installed a few server rooms with the same conductive tile and messy black glue....

I always scratch my head, does it really serve a purpose to protect the electronic equipment if you're wearing rubber soled shoes? :cool:

8. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

When is back in the day for you? I remember those days very well. Since 1966.

:old:

Daris

9. Incognito

Somebody came in the room and asked me why I wasn't wearing a dust mask. Then he offered me one. I wasn't noticing any smell and I explained that I have a half mask respirator for anything that I suspect is toxic. Yeah, once it was brought up I did notice it. I can imagine if it were thousands of feet. I had that fan blowing air around so I didn't feel the least bit woozy.

The jobs we did 25-35 years ago are outlasting the jobs we did 5-15 years ago

10. ScribeRight

ScribeRight Pro Member

Ya got a few years on me. 1975 was my start and by 1979 my journeyman test in Whttier California was putting Commercial level loop on a round step with nothing but a needle and thread and latex, Sew a top seam and double stitch and latex Candy Stripped loop and match the pattern lol, Lots of Seagate hard goods that makes Linoleum feel as soft as IVC solid Vinyl they sell now days, Or installing Crown Corolon and Brigatine inlay, And Scrapped a TON of Asbestos old Lino off the floors before they even had figured Asbestos was harmful, But the Henry's adhesives were still in steel buckets and we used Paste for vinyl coving in the 1970's, When they use to work well and would destroy your Levi pants if it got on ya, Now the PSA glue comes off in the washer ?

11. ScribeRight

ScribeRight Pro Member

Up on the 11th floor downtown Providence , Room was around 18x35 ..only one door was a issue ..no cross venation it was strong with out proper venting for sure..I had a good mask and got the field in before it calmed down for smell..They wanted the ground straps on both ends of the room..you know i forgot to install the other one too :yesss: