1/4 plywood for underlayment

Discussion in 'Ceramic & Stone Sales and Installations' started by Z-Carpet, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

ive noticed some flooring installation companies still use 1/4 plywood for underlayment under tile and hardwood , is that acceptable or something from the past

2. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

No, its still a viable option. Obviously, if you tear out 3/8", you go back in with the same thickness. But in situ's where you need to lay over, but avoid any extra height, 1/4" is the go to. But, follow the nailing pattern, if you don't nail the sh!] out of it, it can make noise.

3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Tile? Not acceptable. Hardwood? Depends on the situation. Vinyl? Definitely the best option in most cases.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Ahhh, yeah. I was thinking he meant like VCT tile. Forgive me, I'm old, lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

1/4" plywood simply isn't stable enough to support a tile installation. The bare minimum would be 3/8", and even that is difficult to work with.

If they're trying to save height, they should use a tile membrane. Using 1/4" plywood instead of 1/4" cement board under tile makes no sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Your question is severely vague.

"I've noticed" have you questioned why they used it? What grade of plywood was used? 1/4" may add to a minimum thickness, distribute some subfloor movement, get to height from a previous removal.

"Thing of the past" 1/4" ply is as applicable today as when it was first introduced. Cement board just improves bond.

Hard to guess people's decision making or their decision making skills.

7. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

everyone says to use cement board, but like i said IN OP i noticed a local company in my area always just using 1/4 plywood with no cement board, whats the reasoning, is the question i ask

8. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Got it, for ceramic. I think it could be ok depending on the deflection calculator for span/on center distances. I've removed a bit more tile than I'd like to have over all sorts of wood. Plus mortar manufacturers are making better thinsets for over plywood. Exterior grade adhesive minimum.

9. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I saw a few years ago someone had adhesive for under tile over wood. Probably at Surfaces. Can't recall who or what..